Cute picture of my baby boxie at work with me

Status
Not open for further replies.

foxboysracing

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Oakland, Oregon
Today, I took one of my young boxies (Sprout) to work with me. He enjoys playing in the phone cord on my desk... lol

You wouldn't ever guess that I have actually had him for a little over 2 years now. He is still pretty little. I got him in as a rescue when he was almost 1. He was very very sick and I thought he might not make it. The owners wouldn't/couldn't take him to the vet. I took him home and nursed him. A month of force feeding and 3 rounds of antibiotics later, and he started getting better. He is happy as a little clam now. Still growing super duper slow, but busy, active and full of personality. :)

Just thought I would share Sprout's picture.

Attachments

• 2012-01-20_11-49-30_968[1].jpg
    2012-01-20_11-49-30_968[1].jpg
    466.2 KB · Views: 169
  • 2012-03-19_16-59-44_999[1].jpg
    2012-03-19_16-59-44_999[1].jpg
    657.8 KB · Views: 146

foxboysracing

10 Year Member!
Oakland, Oregon
no. :( I take a turtle to work with me from time to time. The big tortoises just crawl all around the house and visit our clients. (Our office is really a big 2 story house that 4 of us work in.)
Little Sprouty will usually just hang out on my desk with me for the day. He hangs out by me and likes to crawl across my keyboard from time to time and types me little messages.. lol
Usually I give him a quick bath in the sick with some warm water and he shares a banana with me at lunch.
He sits on my heated passenger side seat in a towel on the way to work and home. :)

pryncesssc

5 Year Member
Chicago IL
Aww he is soo cute! The name fits him so well :) maybe u can get a tupperware with a little heat light incase he gets cold . I wish I could bring my turtles to school lol

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
Mid Willamette Valley, Or
hmmm, cant say ive had them crawl accross my key board but definatly accross the floor :) from time to time, perhaps a nice little 10 gallon tank set up would be a good day tank :) so that you can talk to him from time to time :) perhaps a cup of mealworms in the desk drawer for treats :)

nicoleandrocky

5 Year Member
California
I love the second photo, such a sweet face :)
Also, cool that you can take your boxie to work with you !

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Hate to be a spoil-sport, but turtles don't really play with phone cords, or anything else for that matter. Poor little guy is probably just trying to hide. Without a proper habitat, I'm afraid taking him to work might not be good for him.

DanaRae60

5 Year Member
San Clemente, California
foxboysracing said:
Today, I took one of my young boxies (Sprout) to work with me. He enjoys playing in the phone cord on my desk... lol

You wouldn't ever guess that I have actually had him for a little over 2 years now. He is still pretty little. I got him in as a rescue when he was almost 1. He was very very sick and I thought he might not make it. The owners wouldn't/couldn't take him to the vet. I took him home and nursed him. A month of force feeding and 3 rounds of antibiotics later, and he started getting better. He is happy as a little clam now. Still growing super duper slow, but busy, active and full of personality. :)

Just thought I would share Sprout's picture.

I especially love the second photo, so cute!

foxboysracing

10 Year Member!
Oakland, Oregon
GeoTerraTestudo said:
Hate to be a spoil-sport, but turtles don't really play with phone cords, or anything else for that matter. Poor little guy is probably just trying to hide. Without a proper habitat, I'm afraid taking him to work might not be good for him.

Sprout is not a "poor little guy" and the comment that he was '"playing with a phone cord was more of a "tongue in cheek" comment. I know he wasn't playing with the phone cord. He was really just hanging out. He is a happy little turtle and is WELL taken care of. I work so hard to take very good care of all of my turtles. If I take him to work from time to time, I don't see any harm in it. He is health and happy. The only turtles that are sick at my house are the 'rescues' I take in when they first come to me.

Maybe that comment just hits me a little hard because I know I put my heart and sole into my turtles and their care.

You probably didn't mean as much by your comment as I took it. If so - I am sorry. :shy:

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
foxboysracing said:
Sprout is not a "poor little guy" and the comment that he was '"playing with a phone cord was more of a "tongue in cheek" comment. I know he wasn't playing with the phone cord. He was really just hanging out. He is a happy little turtle and is WELL taken care of. I work so hard to take very good care of all of my turtles. If I take him to work from time to time, I don't see any harm in it. He is health and happy. The only turtles that are sick at my house are the 'rescues' I take in when they first come to me.

Maybe that comment just hits me a little hard because I know I put my heart and sole into my turtles and their care.

You probably didn't mean as much by your comment as I took it. If so - I am sorry. :shy:

Hey Fox,

I certainly didn't mean it as a personal attack. It's just that the level of expertise on a forum varies from novice to pro, and I don't know the background of everyone on here. So, I just thought I'd err on the side of caution and dole out some advice in case it was needed. Tone is notoriously hard to interpret online, so when I read the comment "play with a phone cord," I thought you might be anthropomorphizing your pet reptile, possibly to its detriment. If you are knowledgeable about turtle-keeping, then I guess I do not need to be concerned.

In my case, I have been tempted to take my pet boxies or torties to work with me, but did not do so unless I had a nice enclosure to go along with them. This is both to protect them against cold or dehydration, and to protect my work environment from their droppings as well. ;)

Best,
Gaddy

foxboysracing

10 Year Member!
Oakland, Oregon
GeoTerraTestudo said:
Hey Fox,

I certainly didn't mean it as a personal attack. It's just that the level of expertise on a forum varies from novice to pro, and I don't know the background of everyone on here. So, I just thought I'd err on the side of caution and dole out some advice in case it was needed. Tone is notoriously hard to interpret online, so when I read the comment "play with a phone cord," I thought you might be anthropomorphizing your pet reptile, possibly to its detriment. If you are knowledgeable about turtle-keeping, then I guess I do not need to be concerned.

In my case, I have been tempted to take my pet boxies or torties to work with me, but did not do so unless I had a nice enclosure to go along with them. This is both to protect them against cold or dehydration, and to protect my work environment from their droppings as well. ;)

Best,
Gaddy

No worries at all :) I've done my research. Its all good. I may set up something for him here.I have the room and extra stuff at home. sprout probably comes once a month with me. No worries at all. ;) Maybe I was a little defensive this morning. Sorry

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
No personal attack here...I swear it! I know how hard you must have worked to get him well. Just asking...the set up that you have him in when he's home...do you have a UVB light, or does he go out in the sun? Also does his set up have a lot of humidity? I can see how much you love him, and how much work you have put into him to get him better. His eyes are clear, and his beak is perfect, but from looking at his shell, he looks like he is lacking in humidity and/or sun, or a proper diet. Being that you have him for two years, his shell should be smooth now. Just trying to help, not wanting to offend you in any way.
As for taking him to work.....Box turtles spend most of their life hiding in wooded area's. No matter how tame they become from being someone's pet, it is still very stressful for them to be handled all the time. Just speaking from experience....we all take care of our pets differently.

foxboysracing

10 Year Member!
Oakland, Oregon
terryo said:
No personal attack here...I swear it! I know how hard you must have worked to get him well. Just asking...the set up that you have him in when he's home...do you have a UVB light, or does he go out in the sun? Also does his set up have a lot of humidity? I can see how much you love him, and how much work you have put into him to get him better. His eyes are clear, and his beak is perfect, but from looking at his shell, he looks like he is lacking in humidity and/or sun, or a proper diet. Being that you have him for two years, his shell should be smooth now. Just trying to help, not wanting to offend you in any way.
As for taking him to work.....Box turtles spend most of their life hiding in wooded area's. No matter how tame they become from being someone's pet, it is still very stressful for them to be handled all the time. Just speaking from experience....we all take care of our pets differently.

it took many rounds of antibiotics to get him well.he would then get sick once every few months for awhile. He hasn't been sick for almost a year now. I have noticed some unusual growth on his shell. I think it is from being sooo sick and the constant needs and being sick. I think he is finallybetter now and growing and that may be part of the sporadic growth on his shell. Right Now he is indoors under a reptisun uvb and heat bulb on forest floor bedding that is misted daily.he bathes and eats daily.he is very active and is finally starting to grow. He has reptomin with calcium two times a week, worms once a week rolled in calcium and veggies and fruit(romaine, spring mix, banana, cantaloupe, tomato, broccoli, dandelions, strawberries, cabbage, etc) in front of him all the time (7 days a week). He has an outdoor pen in the summer to get as much real sun as he possibly can.spring and fall he goes out during the day when its nice and is in at night and when its not warm. I want him to have as much time in the real sun as he can get.
Gotta get back to work...we can talk more later ;)

M

Maggie Cummings

Dawn he is cute as hell! I am not going to say anything about you taking him to work, I disagree with TerryO about them getting stressed from being handled, I think they get used to being handled and get to a point where they are comfortable with it. I handle all my turtles, they are all used to being held and messed with. When I have to take one to the Vet, she is able to hold a head and treat them. My animals don't rush their heads back in quickly. I think it's important to handle them and mess with them so they get used to it and the stress factor is not part of the equation anymore...
Where is Oakland? Maybe we could meet for coffee or something...I see it's outside of Sutherlin, that's not far at all...

Status
Not open for further replies.