Cute picture of my baby boxie at work with me

Status
Not open for further replies.

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mid Willamette Valley, Or
terryo said:
Do you have any pictures of your Box Turtles? Box Turtles...my favorite.

Super Funny Terryo! i litterally just PMed her asking about pictures! haha great minds think alike!

maggie3fan said:
Dawn he is cute as hell! I am not going to say anything about you taking him to work, I disagree with TerryO about them getting stressed from being handled, I think they get used to being handled and get to a point where they are comfortable with it. I handle all my turtles, they are all used to being held and messed with. When I have to take one to the Vet, she is able to hold a head and treat them. My animals don't rush their heads back in quickly. I think it's important to handle them and mess with them so they get used to it and the stress factor is not part of the equation anymore...
Where is Oakland? Maybe we could meet for coffee or something...I see it's outside of Sutherlin, that's not far at all...

I wanna go!

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
IDK, I agree with TerryO. My Eastern hates it when I pick him up. He gets very stressed from it. He is about 6 yrs old. It seems like you are taking good care of your "Sprout", just that we all have our experiences and all of our turtles are different.

But he is cute...

foxboysracing

10 Year Member!
Oakland, Oregon
DixieParadise said:
IDK, I agree with TerryO. My Eastern hates it when I pick him up. He gets very stressed from it. He is about 6 yrs old. It seems like you are taking good care of your "Sprout", just that we all have our experiences and all of our turtles are different.

But he is cute...

I agree.we are all different and we are all going to do things a little differently.some live where there turtles can be outside all year, others have them in and out, while others live in apartments.we all do our best with what we have and where we live.
That being said.
none of my turtles retract when I pick them up.several I have never seen close up all the way. They are handled almost ever day. They get interaction with me daily. That's what I hear most from people who see my turtles is that they are NOT shy and do not hide. Maybe that's weird?? It works for us. ;)
What may be weirder is that my diamondback terrapin comes to the top of the water every day for me to hold her for a moment and then she gets a kiss.I have tried to just feed her but she will just keep splashing in that one spot until I hold her for a minute. Weird I know.but it works for us.
Oakland is about twenty minutes below cottage grove. I would enjoy that.
I will ad pictures later. My husband is on the computer now and so I am only on my phone so I can't add pix now. Sorry. :(
gotta love this tortoise forum app for my phone. :)

pryncesssc

5 Year Member
Chicago IL
foxboysracing said:
I agree.we are all different and we are all going to do things a little differently.some live where there turtles can be outside all year, others have them in and out, while others live in apartments.we all do our best with what we have and where we live.
That being said.
none of my turtles retract when I pick them up.several I have never seen close up all the way. They are handled almost ever day. They get interaction with me daily. That's what I hear most from people who see my turtles is that they are NOT shy and do not hide. Maybe that's weird?? It works for us. ;)
What may be weirder is that my diamondback terrapin comes to the top of the water every day for me to hold her for a moment and then she gets a kiss.I have tried to just feed her but she will just keep splashing in that one spot until I hold her for a minute. Weird I know.but it works for us.
Oakland is about twenty minutes below cottage grove. I would enjoy that.
I will ad pictures later. My husband is on the computer now and so I am only on my phone so I can't add pix now. Sorry. :(
gotta love this tortoise forum app for my phone. :)

Haha I'm on the app all the time :) that's so cute that she wants a kiss from her mamma ! Love it !

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
my turtles dont mind, though i dont handle them to often ive noticed especially penny open up and not lockdownin her shell since i got her. so things improve over time with some, ocationally they will hiss back into their shell when i first pick them up, but come right back out they really dont mind, but all turtles and hobbyists are differant

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
turtlemann2 said:
my turtles dont mind, though i dont handle them to often ive noticed especially penny open up and not lockdownin her shell since i got her. so things improve over time with some, ocationally they will hiss back into their shell when i first pick them up, but come right back out they really dont mind, but all turtles and hobbyists are differant

It could depend on their natural temperament, or on experiences they've had. I've had box turtles and tortoises that were curious, or that left their head and limbs out when I picked them up. Others have been more timid, retracting at the slightest movement. It seems like the timid ones that were wild-caught had scars on their shells, indicating they had been attacked by predators at some point. In contrast, the WC ones without any scars, or the CBB ones that never had to deal with trauma at all, seemed not to be frightened at all.

foxboysracing

10 Year Member!
Oakland, Oregon
That sounds like it is probably very true... :)

I am working on sending pix to photobucket right now and I will be adding them in a few.
When you the pix of my male three toe with the red head and neck.... when I got him from a teenage boy he was living in a dresser drawer and would rarely come out of his shell. I had the hardest tie even telling if he was a boy or girl because he was never out. He would always close up when you came anywhere near him. Now 4 or 5 years later he is always out. I haven't seen him closed up in his shell in several years, that unless I am trying to trim his toenails.....
They are all different. Just like us. Some have been very scared or traumatized, while others have had charmed lives.

pix coming up soon....
Dawn

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
I love seeing all of these Northwesterners! Makes me think I should have a box turtle or two again.
Dawn, will you be up loading pics of your enclosures somewhere?

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I really don't think there is a right way or a wrong way. It's what works best for you and your animals. I rarely pick up or hold my box turtles or tortoises. If I think that someone isn't looking right, or if I just want to do a check, I pick them up. They all do follow me around looking for a worm or a piece of fruit. I never go ourside without something to give them, and they know that. None of them seem afraid, as I've had most of them since they were little, and they are used to getting a treat when they see me. Anyway....looking forward to seeing your pictures. OH...only one of mine came up from hibernation so far, but when they're all up, I'll post some pictures of them.

foxboysracing

10 Year Member!
Oakland, Oregon
Here goes the pix... let's give it a try this way....

This is Bumblebee a female eastern of mine

photobucket-4762-1332475716323.jpg

photobucket-2776-1332475953170.jpg

This is Rob - 3 year old juvenile male Eastern

photobucket-1089-1332474902715.jpg

photobucket-6087-1332475505237.jpg

This is Franklin - 12ish year old Three Toe Male
photobucket-4517-1332475792342.jpg

photobucket-4708-1332475879561.jpg

This is Frankie - I got her from someone in Vallejo who had her living in a cardboard box. they thought she was a boy. She is a girl and has just laid eggs to prove it.

photobucket-3618-1332477686187.jpg

photobucket-5080-1332477378769.jpg

This is Sara - Eastern juvenile female

0501092314.jpg

This is Chewy - three toe female
I found Chewy in Red Bluff, Ca a year ago at a pet shop and couldn't stand to see her living that way. I felt bad for her. I bought her and brought her home to have a 'happy turtle life' with us.

photobucket-5954-1332477432225.jpg

This is Heidi - three toe female. She was a classroom turtle that saw no sun or no light with her old owner. She is flourishing with us.

photobucket-6231-1332477298847.jpg

This is Georginna - She is a juvenile Gulf Coast that someone had and only ever fed her worms and never gave her uvb or vitamin d. She broke her collar bone on one side, so she can't use her front leg. They other works some. She has MBD. I put furniture slides under her front usually. She does get around ok. I am trying to get her better. :(

photobucket-1572-1332475580602.jpg

photobucket-1681-1332475641301.jpg

This is Sprout - three toe mix? came to me very very sick. the owner would not take him to the vet. I force fed him for a month, and did several rounds of antibiotics. He is doing better now, but just now starting to really grow at all.

photobucket-4820-1332475453614.jpg

photobucket-4444-1332474561890.jpg

photobucket-4807-1332477842814.jpg

This is Shimmee and Timmy - Diamondback Terrapins. These are old pictures I took quite awhile ago when I had them in a half water tank... ugh

DSCF4105.jpg

This is Kirrick - Our old tortoise

DSCF4134.jpg

photobucket-1154-1332474481921.jpg

Lucy - Our Leopard Tortoise - She was pyramided like this before I got her. A local pet store has her and sold her. She came back and they had no room for her. All they had was a 30? gallon tank for her. She could barely turn around. They asked em if she could come home with us to get some sun and some room to walk around. She did. She has never left us.

photobucket-684-1332474436394.jpg

This is sombrero - I bought him from a pet store in Red Bluff, Ca to get him a chance at living. I cried. I was so scared someone wouldn't know that he needed help NOW! He is growing, eating and doing better. :) This is how he looked the day I bought him. He was the most in need of our help!

0312111720.jpg

And there you go...... :)

Dawn

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Dawn that is a beautiful group of animals you have. That last picture of sombrero just about destroyed me. I will never understand people. I'm sure he'll be fine now that you have him. Your Three Toed with the red head is exceptional.

foxboysracing

10 Year Member!
Oakland, Oregon
terryo said:
I really don't think there is a right way or a wrong way. It's what works best for you and your animals. I rarely pick up or hold my box turtles or tortoises. If I think that someone isn't looking right, or if I just want to do a check, I pick them up. They all do follow me around looking for a worm or a piece of fruit. I never go ourside without something to give them, and they know that. None of them seem afraid, as I've had most of them since they were little, and they are used to getting a treat when they see me. Anyway....looking forward to seeing your pictures. OH...only one of mine came up from hibernation so far, but when they're all up, I'll post some pictures of them.

I agree 100%. I wish mine could stay outside all year and live more naturally like yours. That seems ideal ;) Were I live they can't so we have to do it this way...

terryo said:
Dawn that is a beautiful group of animals you have. That last picture of sombrero just about destroyed me. I will never understand people. I'm sure he'll be fine now that you have him. Your Three Toed with the red head is exceptional.

Thank You very much! I had to go out and snap a few pictures of my turtles quickly. They aren't the 'cleanest' pictures. My boxies tend to climb over everything and spread their forest floor dirt everywhere. I should have brought them out and gave them a bath first, but I thought I would show them 'al a natural'. haha

Sombrero is doing well. Last weekend I was back in Red Bluff and went to the same pet store and they had another adult three toe male that needed a good home and about 10 hatchlings. Several looked the same as sombrero last year. I cried. and I cried again. I could not buy them all. :( I spoke with the owner about stopping buying the babies in this condition. He says he always gets a few that look like that. It makes me furious! But, even if I could get him to quit buying them would the 'unknown' breeder just sell them somewhere else?? The whole situation is horrible. :(

Thank you. Franklin was incredibly shy before and now he thinks he is 'hot stuff' all the time. Usually he pesters the ladies WAY too much. :)

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
Bumblebee is stunning!

Franklin is RRRRRREEEEEDDDDDD such awesome coloring! im glad he is no longer shy as his colors are to unique to hide:) annnnd i love his plain jane shell :)

Chewy reminds me alot of my ttbt moostasha, with the damaged scutes :( but Never judge a book (or turtle) but its cover :)

Georgina has many days to look forward to due to you rescuing her, she has a chance at a normal life thanks to You.

sprout is super de duper cute i like the first picture :)

your tortoises are very neat, i wish i had more room...

sombrero makes me sad so very sad...

foxboysracing

10 Year Member!
Oakland, Oregon
turtlemann2 said:
Bumblebee is stunning!

Franklin is RRRRRREEEEEDDDDDD such awesome coloring! im glad he is no longer shy as his colors are to unique to hide:) annnnd i love his plain jane shell :)

Chewy reminds me alot of my ttbt moostasha, with the damaged scutes :( but Never judge a book (or turtle) but its cover :)

Georgina has many days to look forward to due to you rescuing her, she has a chance at a normal life thanks to You.

Thank you all so very much!!! there are a few more that were not at my house last night when I took those pictures.its a big family and its ours. All of them have a special place in my heart for various reasons. They aren't all perfect and they all came to me for different reasons, and that's perfectly ok with me.....

I have all those and horses, chickens, dogs, cats, two teenage boys and a super tolerant husband (as long as I keep my animal obsession in check) ha ha

turtlemann2 said:
Bumblebee is stunning!

Thank you all so very much!!! there are a few more turtles that were not at my house last night when I took those pictures. Its a big family and its ours. All of them have a special place in my heart for various reasons. They aren't all perfect and they all came to me for different reasons, and that's perfectly ok with me..... None of them are perfect and we never turn one away that needs help if we can.

I have all those and horses, chickens, dogs, cats, fish and two teenage boys and a super tolerant husband (as long as I keep my animal obsession in check) ha ha ..... They mainly like things with engines that go really really fast. Ha ha

l0velesly

10 Year Member!
Lynnwood, WA
All your turtles are so cute and happy-looking :D I can see that you really care for them.

foxboysracing

10 Year Member!
Oakland, Oregon
terryo said:
How much is he asking for the one's like Sombero that are messed up?
Are you thinking about saving one of them??
It would be great if we knew of people who could get those babies from the pet store. Its tough though, I know. :(

I REALLY wish I knew how we could figure out who he is buying the babies from and stop them from breeding.

Dawn

pryncesssc

5 Year Member
Chicago IL
foxboysracing said:
Are you thinking about saving one of them??
It would be great if we knew of people who could get those babies from the pet store. Its tough though, I know. :(

I REALLY wish I knew how we could figure out who he is buying the babies from and stop them from breeding.

Dawn

It's a horrible cycle becuae if you (or anyone) keeps buying them , then the pet store will keep supplying them. Maybe if you give us the number to the pet store, a lot of us can call and maybe that will do something. Or if you call the local human society. I think the best thing you can do is make the public aware that what they are selling is NOT a healthy turtle and that it is wrong !!

foxboysracing

10 Year Member!
Oakland, Oregon
I agree completely. The only reason I bought the one I did last year was because he was the worst one and I knew he would not live if he went to someone who just put him in an aquarium. That's the only reason I bought him. And I did talk to the owner about how they were NOT in good health. I talked to him again this year when I was back in Red Bluff. I too was torn. If I buy one then he will get more. :( If I buy one maybe I can save it. :) But, then he will buy more. :( Will some other pet store buy this breeders babies if he doesn't? Let's hope not, but realistically, I don't know. It all starts with the breeder giving crappy care to new baby box turtles.... UGH!! So VERY sad.. :( :( :(

Here is his contact info:

Aquarium Pets
345 South Main Street Red Bluff, CA 96080
(530) 527-4588

What really needs to happen is to educate or shut down the breeder! That would stop the problem at its core.

Status
Not open for further replies.