Cute picture of my baby boxie at work with me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calypso59

5 Year Member
Thank you for sharing the pics of your turtle family...really enjoyed them:)

terryo

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Staten Island, New York
foxboysracing said:
terryo said:
How much is he asking for the one's like Sombero that are messed up?
Are you thinking about saving one of them??
It would be great if we knew of people who could get those babies from the pet store. Its tough though, I know. :(

I REALLY wish I knew how we could figure out who he is buying the babies from and stop them from breeding.

Dawn

If there was one that was deformed and in really bad shape, I would definitely get one and try to save it, but I live in NY and I doubt they would ship them. What nerve they have even trying to sell them. But if no one buys them what will happen to them? This is really bad!

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
what is kirrick? desert? looks yellow..
poor sombrero.. what does he look like today? I cant beleive a pet store with any sort of idea would be selling that..
When you buy things is such bad condition, do you educate them so it stops happening?

M

Maggie Cummings

Laura said:
what is kirrick? desert? looks yellow..
poor sombrero.. what does he look like today? I cant beleive a pet store with any sort of idea would be selling that..
When you buy things is such bad condition, do you educate them so it stops happening?

I'm betting he's a Gopherus agassizii. He was kept indoors when he was young...just my guess

foxboysracing

10 Year Member!
Oakland, Oregon
Yea... Maggie was right. He is a desert tortoise that has been in Oregon his whole life. I got him from a wild animal park that had gotten him from my husband when he was a kid. Too long of a story to tell here. He is our friendly old man. :) :)

- Exactly!! - I hate the way those baby box turtles looked. It broke my heart.

Terryo - If the pet store won't ship a baby, I have a good family friend that lives within a half hour of the pet store and I could probably get her to pick one up and ship him. But, I have to be honest, I am not sure what the best way to ship a little baby is? How would you package him safely? keep him warm? I have no idea. I know people do it. I just don't know how. It makes me nervous, because I wouldn't want him hurt or his box be put upside down, etc.. Let me know if you are serious. You could also give the shop a call. Last year I bought and saved two and he cut me a discount for giving them a chance. This year he didn't seem as cooperative. :( :( and I couldn't really afford one at the time we were there. :( so sad!

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
Mid Willamette Valley, Or
well technicly its illigal to SELL hatchling in the pet trade under 4 inches, SOOOooo a call to Kaliforniastans fish and game may do well, as in they could at least shut down this guy from selling undersized babies :(

j333fernandez

5 Year Member
HOW CUTE!!!!!!! I want a baby boxie so bad but can't really afford the get the $100.00 ones .do you know where I can get a cheap baby boxie?

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river
foxboysracing said:
I agree.we are all different and we are all going to do things a little differently.some live where there turtles can be outside all year, others have them in and out, while others live in apartments.we all do our best with what we have and where we live.
That being said.
none of my turtles retract when I pick them up.several I have never seen close up all the way. They are handled almost ever day. They get interaction with me daily. That's what I hear most from people who see my turtles is that they are NOT shy and do not hide. Maybe that's weird?? It works for us. ;)
What may be weirder is that my diamondback terrapin comes to the top of the water every day for me to hold her for a moment and then she gets a kiss.I have tried to just feed her but she will just keep splashing in that one spot until I hold her for a minute. Weird I know.but it works for us.
Oakland is about twenty minutes below cottage grove. I would enjoy that.
I will ad pictures later. My husband is on the computer now and so I am only on my phone so I can't add pix now. Sorry. :(
gotta love this tortoise forum app for my phone. :)

Actually that isn't weird my Terrapins Terry and Melissa were/are (I don't have them anymore because I'm going to be moving to Texas where it is illegal to own them and you cant get a permit as an individual) very much like that. Terry if you take him out of the water he will follow me or my daughter around and gets really excited to see me but not every body. Melissa will splash and follow you in the water until you pick her up even if you just feed her.

The boxers that live with me, I don't own them as the are not pets to me they are turtle people which you're probably thinking is odd for a scientist to say. If you know me then it isn't my beliefs are a mix of my American ancestral beliefs and Roman Catholic. Though from a legal stand point they are a conservation population so thus aren't pets either. They get measured and weighed periodically. As well as some acting as ambassadors for their species. I look at it this way if some one knows a species even if it is only one individual of said species then they are more likely to help protect it. Though some don't like handling some like Shelly like it she will actually climb into my lap to be picked up when I sit in the pen. Franklin will stand in your hand and just look around. Then there is Little John who will walk up to you and stare at you until you pick him up. Though on the flip side is Sheldon who used to only eat after you left the area though now he will eat but you can't be watching. Then there is Erik unless you have food he high tails it to some hiding spot and watches you. He and Little John lost their homes to humans with bull dozers so he doesn't much like humans. I hope though he will trust me enough not to run from me at some point. The forested area him and Little John came from was flattened to build 600,000$ houses that are still empty they are by my Mom's house I don't think one of them has sold.

Status
Not open for further replies.