Cuttle Bone

Status
Not open for further replies.

cknfrmr

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Kernersville, NC
Does it matter if a cuttle bone gets wet when i am misting the substrate down? Right now I take it out until the slate dries out that I lay it on under the basking lamps. Just wondering if it matters. Thanks for your time and viewing. Wishing everyone and their tortoises a very MERY CHRISTMAS.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, in fact it might make it more palatable for the tortoise. My cuttlebone usually stays outside in the weather for a few months before anyone ever eats it, but once it starts to turn grey and aged, they seem to really go for it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That's funny Yvonne. Mine won't touch them once they get "dirty". They usually don't even touch them when they are new and white, but every once in a while I see some nibble marks and the accompanying tell-tale white face and nose.

turtlegirl1234

5 Year Member
I keep a cuttle bone in Myrtles enclosure and she loves it. I still give her a calcium supplement every other feeding though. My concern at this moment is that it seems I read contradicting information on what to feed her and how often to soak her which is one of the reasons I joined this forum. I currently feed her everyday (spring mix and fruit, although not often and I soak her three (3) times a week for about 20 to 30 minutes. I do not keep water in her enclosure but I do mist every now and then. Please feel free to provide insight.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi TurtleGirl1234:

We try to not step on someone else's thread, so if you would like some help with your tortoise, please start a thread in the appropriate section.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Laura said:
where does cuttel bone come from...
THE SEA!! water wont hurt it...
Cuttle Fish...

Yeah, but its enclosed in a fleshy, living envelope when its in the sea. Never directly exposed to water.

... but no, water won't hurt it. You are right.

Balboa

5 Year Member
PNW
Rocky's cuttlebone gets dragged through mud as she works it over. Doesn't slow her down.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
My sulcata is about a year old and has shown no interest in cuttlebone, wet or dry. Am I expecting too much from this youngster?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Dizisdalife said:
My sulcata is about a year old and has shown no interest in cuttlebone, wet or dry. Am I expecting too much from this youngster?

Hello and welcome to the forum. Some torts just show no interest in cuttle bone. Most of mine don't touch them, but I provide them any way, just in case. Every once in a while one will munch on some cuttle bone and surprise me.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Dizisdalife said:

Hi Dizisdalife:

Welcome to the forum!! You can grate some of the cuttlebone over your baby's food.

Please take a moment to start a new thread and tell us a bit about yourself and your young tortoise. What is your name and where are you from? What kind of tortoise, etc.?

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
Wet or dry, dirty or clean does not seem to matter to Tank. Lana on the other hand I have to grate it on her greens.

Xilonen

5 Year Member
Bellingham, WA
Tom said:
Laura said:
Cuttle Fish...

Yeah, but its enclosed in a fleshy, living envelope when its in the sea. Never directly exposed to water.

To be fair, the inside of a cephalopod is a pretty wet place. ;)

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Xilonen said:
Tom said:
Laura said:
Cuttle Fish...

To be fair, the inside of a cephalopod is a pretty wet place. ;)

And that's also why a cuttlebone has the hard backing. :p

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Any more ideas on how to entice this young tort to eat cuttlebone? I tried wetting it and grating it on the foods. So far he wont touch it. When I put it on his food he wouldn't eat at all. I get the same result when I use powdered calcium on his food. For the most part he will eat around the calcium, unless it is on carrots or squash. I have made a "salad" of greens and squash with calcium or vitamins and he has ignored all of it, or eaten only a few bites. Is it time for some "tough love" to get him to eat healthy?

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
Try scraping some off put it near his food :) I have a plastic coffee can lid with scrapings in it they come over and eat it when their in the mood. But some torts just do not like it and will not eat it good luck:)

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
I had some success today getting my baby to eat cuttlebone. I mixed it in with some Zoo Med pellets and squash. He did eat several bites and then returned to his hide. It is good that he is getting calcium, but I can't feed him squash every day.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I feel the main thing for the cuttlebone is to let the tortoise decide when he or she wants it, I keep some for mine all the time yet they only touch it once in a blue moon. most of the time it just sits there getting wet and dirty.

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Dizisdalife said:
I had some success today getting my baby to eat cuttlebone. I mixed it in with some Zoo Med pellets and squash. He did eat several bites and then returned to his hide. It is good that he is getting calcium, but I can't feed him squash every day.

Good to hear Joe that he's finally lightened up to the cuttlebone. Maybe you can try taking a small piece, grounding it into a powder, moistening the food and sticking the powdered cuttlebone in there. The torts will eat it like there's nothing in there.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Today he ate some cuttlebone. The weather turned warm here in So Cal, so I had him out for some sunshine. Of course he was sniffing everything on the ground. When I saw he was attracted to white objects I went and got a piece of cuttlebone ( the birds didn't mind). As soon as I put it on the ground he went for it and started eating it.

Status
Not open for further replies.