Cuttlebone vs. Calcium Supplements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morty the Torty

5 Year Member
Is that why Morty is always trying to eat snail shells? Should I let him eat them? I always stop him before he devours it

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southwest Washington
That's what they eat in the wild to replace calcium. Morty is a smart guy!!!!

jojodesca said:
I am getting 2 turtles from a lady and they have overgrown beaks...i am going to use the cuttlebones with them to trim them up, but i might have to visit the vet....any advice????

If they are super overgrown, have a vet trim them down some. If not too bad, cuttlebones and feeding them on a piece of rough tile or slate will help. Also, you can throw in a piece of a carrot once a month to help with beak maintenance.
If you are not sure if your torts need a professional beak trim, post a picture!

I leave a cuttlebone in the enclosure. My RT's nibble it occasionally. Sprinkle TNT 2x per week on greens, which include dandelions almost year round.
Mine do get outside part or full time several months per year.
That's it. Great post!

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Morty the Torty said:
Is that why Morty is always trying to eat snail shells? Should I let him eat them? I always stop him before he devours it

Let him eat snails. He is craving it for good reason: calcium and protein. He's not going to gorge on them, either, so not to worry. He'll just eat what he needs.

True, some turtle species need more snails than others. Pond turtles eat them a lot, especially the Malayan snail-eating turtle, which is specialized for that diet. Box turtles and more omnivorous tortoises like redfoots and hingebacks like them, too. Other more herbivorous tortoises, like Testudos, leopards, and sulcatas shouldn't eat many snails, but then, in nature they would not encounter them often anyway. So, the occasional snail is good for herbivorous tortoise.

CLMoss

5 Year Member
Brooklyn, New York
My Becky (SL Star, 2month old hatchling) loves her cuttlebone! After her soak I feed her greens with a sprinkle of Repvits and Cal w/d3 and then she attacks her cuttlebone. Her afternoon snack is greens without vits and back to the cuttlebone. A lot of action with that cuttlebone.

~C

Status
Not open for further replies.