Cyclone’s growth

Djkitten76

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
2072DDD5-CA1B-4437-AEA7-9D7955E84000.jpeg This is him now but I’m a little worried because he has stayed around 50 grams for about 5 or 6 months and I’m getting worried that he isn’t very well. I soak him every day and give him hibiscus leaves every day and sprinkle some calcium on the leaves once a week he has humidity a hide a uv lamb a water dish and everything, I’m just worried

Miscally

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
View attachment 238087 This is him now but I’m a little worried because he has stayed around 50 grams for about 5 or 6 months and I’m getting worried that he isn’t very well. I soak him every day and give him hibiscus leaves every day and sprinkle some calcium on the leaves once a week he has humidity a hide a uv lamb a water dish and everything, I’m just worried
He is so cute.
@Tom would be able to help. Can we flag this for him?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Where did you get the tortoise and how was it started?

Given the limited amount of info, this is my best guess:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/hatchling-failure-syndrome.23493/

If this is what is going on, there is nothing anyone can do about. No vet, no amount of money, and no tortoise keeper can fix kidneys that were damaged by early chronic dehydration. All you can do is offer the best care possible and hope for the best. Some of them make it and end up fine in the long run.

It sounds like you are only feeding hibiscus leaves from the wording of your post. If that is the case, you need much more variety. Check this one out for ideas: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Kyle Gedrose

Nevada
View attachment 238087 This is him now but I’m a little worried because he has stayed around 50 grams for about 5 or 6 months and I’m getting worried that he isn’t very well. I soak him every day and give him hibiscus leaves every day and sprinkle some calcium on the leaves once a week he has humidity a hide a uv lamb a water dish and everything, I’m just worried

Hey I’m new to this but I just got a new tortoise in September 2017 and she started at 50 grams as well and didn’t start showing any shell growth for a couple of months either and she turned out okay. I guess maybe it just takes them a couple of months at first to hit their first little growth spurt? If you want you can check out my latest post about my tortoises growth to see how she started growing. Hope that helps :).

Djkitten76

Arizona
Where did you get the tortoise and how was it started?

Given the limited amount of info, this is my best guess:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/hatchling-failure-syndrome.23493/

If this is what is going on, there is nothing anyone can do about. No vet, no amount of money, and no tortoise keeper can fix kidneys that were damaged by early chronic dehydration. All you can do is offer the best care possible and hope for the best. Some of them make it and end up fine in the long run.

It sounds like you are only feeding hibiscus leaves from the wording of your post. If that is the case, you need much more variety. Check this one out for ideas: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/
I just feed them hibiscus and take him outside occasionally to eat the grass and walk around. I read the 2 links you referenced and it seems like that’s what’s happening, I ordered him from a local breeder called Arizona Tortoise Compound, from what I see they take great care of them. I will start feeding Cyclone more variety. I also noticed yesterday during his soak I watched him lower his head under that water and hold it there for about 30 seconds then I took him out and put him under his heater. When I did that his head seemed like it just followed gravity and quickly fell to which ever angle I held him at. When I poked his head he didn’t move. This morning he walked around then went right back to sleep. Is this normal?

daniellenc

Maryland
Not normal at all but his diet needs a lot of help for sure. Has he been soaked daily? What are his temps? How much does he eat a day?

Djkitten76

Arizona
Yes he is soaked daily, for the last 3-4 months he hasnt been eating much >1 leaf a day, i just cut some grass and gave him some ill work on the diet too.

Kyle Gedrose

Nevada
Yes he is soaked daily, for the last 3-4 months he hasnt been eating much >1 leaf a day, i just cut some grass and gave him some ill work on the diet too.

My tortoise started growing when I started feeding her some tortoise food. It kinda looks like dog pellet food but I soak it and she is absolutely obsessed with it now. I think it’s pretty good for them IMG_2279.jpg

Also I’m not trying to promote this brand or anything I’m just saying my tortoise started growing a lot and seeming more active and healthy after I started feeding her this.

daniellenc

Maryland
Not that it has anything to do with his health but bury that water bowl in the substrate. It’s a drowning/flipping risk. What are your temps, type of heating source, and UVB source?

Djkitten76

Arizona
A uvb lamp that you see creates all the light, it’s under that wooden thing holding the scale.
He uses a CHE (ceramic heat emmiter). I’ll find his temps when I get home

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Not that it has anything to do with his health but bury that water bowl in the substrate. It’s a drowning/flipping risk. What are your temps, type of heating source, and UVB source?
Even sunk into the substrate, these bowls are too deep and pose a drawing hazard. Best to replace it with something more suitable and shallow. Like a terra cotta plant saucer.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I ordered him from a local breeder called Arizona Tortoise Compound,
Instead of me making assumptions based on previous experiences with cases like this from ATC, I would like to invite Andy here to give us the facts about how this baby was started. @Az tortoise compound

Andy,
Was this baby started in a closed chamber with warm humid monsoon conditions, or was it outside all day in AZ?
How often was the baby soaked?
Did you hatch and start this baby, or was it purchased from another breeder and resold?