Cypress Mulch for Russian !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TKCARDANDCOIN

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
I was wondering how many people use cypress mulch for their russian torts and if so how do you like it?What are the advantages and disadvantages?I am considering a switch from eco earth/sand to cypress.Just curious, thanks.

M

Maggie Cummings

I like it because it holds moisture well and doesn't have sand in it. The eco earth/sand mixture always bothered me because I didn't like having sand all over everything. Cypress mulch smells good, holds moisture well and you can readily see the poop to scoop it out...I use it and like it

TKCARDANDCOIN

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ohio
Thanks Maggie, I am going to try it.I bought a bag at home depot and i am going to try it tonight.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Make carefully sure that the bag that you got from Home Depot is pure cypress. The "Gold" premium stuff is a cypress/pine blend, but you have to really read the bag to realize it.

Kristina

twtraudio

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Kristina is right i was there the other day trying to get the same stuff till i saw on the back of the bag it said Cypress/Pine mix. If you have a Ace Hardware they actually have the cypress and pine in 2 seperate bags.

TKCARDANDCOIN

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ohio
I picked up a bag of organic cypress mulch(premium).It is 100% cypress according to the bag.My russians seem to love it and it is not as dusty as the eco earth/sand and humidity is real easy to control.Thanks again,tom.

chadk

10 Year Member!
I just started with a new (to me) Russian tort and I did a mix of cypress, aspen shavings (for my snakes) and play sand. I really like it so far. Holds moisture great and the tort loves digging around in it. I don't mind a little sand - especially if the tort benefits from burrowing and stuff.

twtraudio

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
TKCARDANDCOIN said:
Home depot had it for 2.99 a bag.

wonder if my home depot was out of it. Cause mine only had the premium gold with the pine in it. What did your bag look like ?

miss_kristyn

5 Year Member
Texas
Can u use this mulch for Sulcata tortoises as well? I have two young tortoises a russian and a sulcata.

TKCARDANDCOIN

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ohio
I saw the bag you were referring to with the mix, there were two types.The one i bought was the organic 100 % cypress(clear bag,red letters)

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Absolutely you can use this substrate for a Sulcata. I use it for mine. I still think you need to get your Sulcata and Russian seperated, I have never seen pyramiding that bad on a Russian.

Kristina

miss_kristyn

5 Year Member
Texas
Once again... THAT IS NOT FROM ME! I rescued these two I know her pyramiding is bad but I am not going to just give up on the poor abused thing or not help her! It is my goal to make sure it stops!!! And her pyramiding is actually getting rounder on the sides like it is suppose to be doing. There lighting was wrong and their diet was totally wrong! These two are fine together. As soon as he gets older they will be moved from each other. I have talked to many people who have many species of tortoise mixed together. And they all have told me as long as you keep the kennels clean, pet's diet regulated, watch attitudes, take them to Vets they will be fine and for sure when he gets bigger than her they need to have different homes. They are an odd couple together but as of right now they are happy. They do not sleep in the same spot either... she burrows (of course) and he sleeps in his tree home. And actually since it is nice outside they go outside for a majority of the day and go there own routes of traveling around the yard.... so there indoor habitat is mainly now a sleeping ground and to catch some more rays and get some good tortoise/russian grass....

sadie tortoise

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I put the eco-earth sand mixture of one side of her habitat and then the cypress mulch on the other side under her light. The cypress holds moisture better under the light and that's the side she sleeps on so its great for her to be able to dig into and hide, cause god knows she loves to dig. So if you have a digger I would definetly recomend using the mulch because it cuts down on the grinding of sand against glass or plastic

Status
Not open for further replies.