dandelions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blademr2

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Vancouver, wa
So it says that they can get addicted to dandelions. Is that true? It says on tort table that it should be fed often.. Have any of you ever had it happen to one of your sullies? How much is it safe to feed them? They are still lil guys and aren't too experimental yet.
New pic of them. They are messy lil guys lol!

2012-04-20_17-35-10_426.jpg

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I don't know about addicted, but torts are experts at being picky eaters.

They'll decide they've got a favourite food and stick to it, refusing everything else. They'll then go off it and then refuse to touch it for weeks! Either that or a bit of 'tough love' will be required to get them eating properly again.

Joe is currently 'off' dandelion leaves (he'll eat the flowers). This time last year he would only eat dandelion leaves. At least he's eating a variety at the moment :rolleyes:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hey man, you've got sulcatas. They eat EVERYTHING! The only thing they get addicted to is eating you out of house and home. :)

Seriously though. Dandelions are great as part of a varied diet and very good for them. Just like anything else, you can have too much of a good thing. If they start skipping other food items, then just quit feeding dandelions for a while. It will also help to mince everything up very fine and mix it all together. Then they can't be too picky. Since your are so young, now is the time to get them eating a huge variety. The more different things they eat now the better off you will be down the road.

P.S. Your babies are looking superb. Great smooth growth and they look healthy and bright eyed.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I never feed mine just one item. I always offer 3-4 different items at every meal. This way they can't get turned on to just one item and then not eat the other stuff. It is all mixed up. But then again I have a leopard. I don't think they are quit as picky/stubborn as a Sulcata:D

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I have never had a tortoise get addicted to any one food only, my adult sulcata loves bananas, peel and all, but it has never kept him from eating a good varied diet.he also loves mazuri but doesn't wait for it, will eat that first when offered with greens.by the pic, -which is a nice pic- you are feeding a varied diet,I think I see dandelion,plantain,clover,and lettuce.I personally wouldn't worry about it as long they keep eating the other greens along with the dandelions.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
It's probably a TGG faddiness. I know of others that do it :) He is always offered a range, he just gets favourites from time to time. I always win though! :D

Blademr2

5 Year Member
Vancouver, wa
You are right on the money Len, thats exactly what their dinner was. As of yet I haven't had a problem. The only thing they aren't really eating that I try to feed them is the opuntia cactus. I have not tried to feed mazuri yet..

Blademr2

5 Year Member
Vancouver, wa
I had to cut my earlier reply short cause I had to leave. Thanks for the complements. Its fun to spray them. They get all annoyed and run in circles around thier home. It's shocking how fast they are!

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
Tom said:
Hey man, you've got sulcatas. They eat EVERYTHING! The only thing they get addicted to is eating you out of house and home. :)

Seriously though. Dandelions are great as part of a varied diet and very good for them. Just like anything else, you can have too much of a good thing. If they start skipping other food items, then just quit feeding dandelions for a while. It will also help to mince everything up very fine and mix it all together. Then they can't be too picky. Since your are so young, now is the time to get them eating a huge variety. The more different things they eat now the better off you will be down the road.

P.S. Your babies are looking superb. Great smooth growth and they look healthy and bright eyed.

Lol! Your 1st 2 lines are great Tom!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Dandelion-Wine

LOL...I was told years ago from someone who hosted CDTs that they will devour them until near gorging...and it was suspected that they felt a great euphoric feeling after eating...again total speculation....so upon my many times of searching out any info on this I can, I have decided I bet they certainly can...who would not like a feel good moment...? I have attached this link for fun... :p

TaraDodrill

5 Year Member
The Hubs wants to know if anyone has tried to freeze dandelions to use during winter. He hand feeds the girls dandelions on rainy or chilly days when they are stuck in their enclosure.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I suspect it would be a disaster... Like freezing lettuce. There's too high a water content in the leaves.

You can buy freeze-dried dandelions in pet stores for feeding to small mammals. Just moisten them before feeding. Not all torts like them though.

Status
Not open for further replies.