Dark at night?

Darwin_T

5 Year Member
I have recently done some reading about Greek torts and I was wondering if his enclosure needed to get dark at night. I do have a black bulb that would keep it dark but that makes the temp fall to 70-75 and I've been told that since he is only 10 months old it should stay 80 all the time. Anything would be great.
Thanks

bigred

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Darwin_T said:
I have recently done some reading about Greek torts and I was wondering if his enclosure needed to get dark at night. I do have a black bulb that would keep it dark but that makes the temp fall to 70-75 and I've been told that since he is only 10 months old it should stay 80 all the time. Anything would be great.
Thanks

All of my tortoises have no light at night just so they experience the normal night and day times. Im not sure of the right temps for greek torts but with winter here 80 sounds pretty good

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yes, they need it dark at night. Using a colored bulb is not dark. If you can see with it, they can see better.

There is no reason why any greek subspecies needs to be kept at 80 at night at any time in its life. All the Mediterranean species need a drop in night temps. Room temp at night is fine for them unless you let your house get exceptionally cold for some reason.

gtc

5 Year Member
Norway
Tom said:
Yes, they need it dark at night. Using a colored bulb is not dark. If you can see with it, they can see better.

There is no reason why any greek subspecies needs to be kept at 80 at night at any time in its life. All the Mediterranean species need a drop in night temps. Room temp at night is fine for them unless you let your house get exceptionally cold for some reason.

Well said, as always :)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
There is no reason why any greek subspecies needs to be kept at 80 at night at any time in its life.

Unless of course you are running a constant high humidity method enclosure day and night...then the temps should never drop below 80 day nor night....if so you may find yourself with an ailing tort...:D