Dark Shell Sulcata Tortoise

Maba_thesulcata2

Location (City and/or State)
California
Hi! I have a 3yr old sulcata and it's shell is dark brown compared to what shell color I usually see on other sulcata tortoises. Is this normal?

(i know there's pyramiding and kind of dry shell but i assure you guys we're working on keeping Maba healthy and avoiding more pyramiding and hopefully eliminating this problem)

Thanks!

Attachments

• received_529002939526991.jpeg
    received_529002939526991.jpeg
    174.6 KB · Views: 1

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Has he been living mostly indoors or out?
I can't remember which one usually lightens them. I believe when they live outside they get lighter. As for how dark he is, that's just genetics. Some are darker then others to begin with.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
How big is she? At 3 most sulcata are big enough to live outside 24/7 in CA with a heated night box.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi! I have a 3yr old sulcata and it's shell is dark brown compared to what shell color I usually see on other sulcata tortoises. Is this normal?

(i know there's pyramiding and kind of dry shell but i assure you guys we're working on keeping Maba healthy and avoiding more pyramiding and hopefully eliminating this problem)

Thanks!
New growth comes in dark. This is totally normal. It lightens up over time, and lightens up more and quicker when they are outside full time.

The gulars are very well developed, which is an indication of male, but that much gular scute development in a 3 year old is rare. Are you sure of the age? If yes, this tortoise is going to have some fantastic gular scutes as a full sized adult.