Darn ants

Tortmomma2

5 Year Member
The attached pic isbof an area I just planted tort friendly seed. Well I noticed teenie tiny ants that were crawling around where the grass is growing. Is there anything I can use or do to safely kill them or is it still okay to let tank roam in there? I just tilled the dirt and brought in organic soil and the seed is already coming in. Thanks for the help

Attachments

• 1409889063123.jpg
    1409889063123.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 16

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Depends on the ants. Here in south Florida, ants are here to stay. However, most species that I have do not harm my animals. Mostly, there are "big headed" ants. They come to the food bowls if left out. Even if it's just lettuce! Sometimes they swarm, but they don't bite. The bad ones are the fire ants. They are very hard to remove and can quickly kill a pet. I have two pens and I occasionally have to swap them out while I shovel and spray for ants. Then wait for weeks until the ant spray is no longer dangerous. Shovel again......What I've done as of lately, I'll place something like watermelon in an area of the yard to draw ants in and when they have arrived in masses, I perform a mass execution. I've also placed ant baits in places nothing else will find . (Not in the pens) Keeping them from getting a foot hold is easier than getting rid of them once they are settled in. If the ants are tiny, like the type you find inside your home, they may be harmless. If they don't bite YOU, it's kind of safe to think they wont bite your tort. It is difficult at times to keep on top of the ant issue and also not harm your tortoises yourself.

Tortmomma2

5 Year Member
Depends on the ants. Here in south Florida, ants are here to stay. However, most species that I have do not harm my animals. Mostly, there are "big headed" ants. They come to the food bowls if left out. Even if it's just lettuce! Sometimes they swarm, but they don't bite. The bad ones are the fire ants. They are very hard to remove and can quickly kill a pet. I have two pens and I occasionally have to swap them out while I shovel and spray for ants. Then wait for weeks until the ant spray is no longer dangerous. Shovel again......What I've done as of lately, I'll place something like watermelon in an area of the yard to draw ants in and when they have arrived in masses, I perform a mass execution. I've also placed ant baits in places nothing else will find . (Not in the pens) Keeping them from getting a foot hold is easier than getting rid of them once they are settled in. If the ants are tiny, like the type you find inside your home, they may be harmless. If they don't bite YOU, it's kind of safe to think they wont bite your tort. It is difficult at times to keep on top of the ant issue and also not harm your tortoises yourself.
Several members have had success using food grade diatomaceous earth.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/search/1160460/?q=food+grade+diatomaceous+earth&o=date
The ants are very very small. They are not big, thick balck or red ants. Looks like they just want food and water since that area is wet because of me watering it every night and everything else is dry since I live in the so cal desert. As for the diatomaceous earth I will get some and sprinkle it around the outside of the enclosure. However, I have looked for a trail and found nothing. Looks like they came up from underground straight into the enclosure. Darn boogers

Tortmomma2

5 Year Member
I just found DIATOMACEOUS Earth in food grade at HOME DEPOT. A 4.4 pound bag is under $10. I'm going to use it today and I'll post in a few days.

Awesome I will check our HD this weekend. I am just wondering if he can still go in the grass area. I call our pest control company and we discussed the ants ans she said she thinks it would be okay. Those types of ants usually just want water or food. They are not the big, thick black or red ants that do damage