Day lilies: poisonous or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So Cal
I keep finding congflcting information about day lilies. Are the flowers safe for the tortoises or not? Does anyone actually feed these?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I thought all the lillies were toxic to some degree, but I'm no expert. I do not feed them to mine.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
The CTTC "Edible Landscaping" page says they are okay, but other sites say no. I have a ton of these in my front yard just waiting to be gobbled up if I can verify their safety.

S

stells

Day lily flowers are fine in moderation.... mine have had them and enjoyed... all other lilies are toxic

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
stells said:
Day lily flowers are fine in moderation.... mine have had them and enjoyed... all other lilies are toxic

Are the leaves OK also? I have hundreds of huge day lillies in my yard. I have always read day lillies were OK.

I plan to use them in my new outdoor enclosure project, but won't if for some reason the sites I viewed were not correct.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you for the clarification Kelly. I was only a little wrong this time. I'm getting better with the plants.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
Thanks! I have been searching the internet all day - some sites say even humans can eat them while others say that it will cause kidney damage! So confusing!

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
I think I'll just take a pass on ALL lillies...then I have NO WORRIES!:D

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Daylilies are fine. They have been used in Oriental cooking for centuries. Just be sure they are daylilies not lilies like Easter lilies (daylily blossums only last a day).

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
I read somewhere that the yellow ones are safe and I was planning to add them to Tanks pen.

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
SE Michigan
Itort said:
Daylilies are fine. They have been used in Oriental cooking for centuries. Just be sure they are daylilies not lilies like Easter lilies (daylily blossums only last a day).

I thought so too. When I first joined the forum last year, I asked if day lilies were fine. Some of the more experienced keepers said yes they were indeed fine. Just make sure it wasn't the Asiatic Lily.

I googled some things yesterday and like just about every other topic, there are a lot of conflicting answers. I think most people classify Day Lilies as "Lilies" and don't realize there's a difference. Not saying anyone here has done that, but it sure seems that way on the web.

Day Lily Wikipedia says nothing about Day Lilies specifically being toxic, but says that some species of Lilies are.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylily

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I personally have daylilies planted in all my enclosures. I love them because they are so hardy, make great natural hiding spots, and come with blooms in so many beautiful colors. None of my tortoises eat them. Even my piggies (the Russians) never touch them.

M

Maggie Cummings

Don't mean to contradict anyone, I am too sick to stay here long so I haven't read these posts. The yellow and the orange day lilies are fine. Bob loves them and will actually jump up in the air and click his heels when I start feeding him the blooms in Spring. He's watching his big plant for blooms now. It is just starting to form blooms. The Asiatic lilies are toxic. Those are the beautiful lilies that come up on one stalk. I'll look and see if I have a picture of them. I have pneumonia and refused to stay in the hospital. Did one of those left against doctors advice things. So will look for a picture if I don't come back it means I couldn't find one and hadda go lay down.

maggie3fan said:
Don't mean to contradict anyone, I am too sick to stay here long so I haven't read these posts. The yellow and the orange day lilies are fine. Bob loves them and will actually jump up in the air and click his heels when I start feeding him the blooms in Spring. He's watching his big plant for blooms now. It is just starting to form blooms. The Asiatic lilies are toxic. Those are the beautiful lilies that come up on one stalk. I'll look and see if I have a picture of them. I have pneumonia and refused to stay in the hospital. Did one of those left against doctors advice things. So will look for a picture if I don't come back it means I couldn't find one and hadda go lay down.

Day lilies

n3n0k2.jpg

my beautiful gladiolus
29ol9mp.jpg

Guess who...
x4rj14.jpg

Asiatic lilies
o9q25w.jpg

6ghgr6.jpg

Sorry about the double post but when I click on my picture number it closes out my TFO and my images. Guess it's time to stop this and go lay down. Asiatic lilies grow on one tall stalk, not a bush like day lilies...hope this helps cuz it sure was difficult. Don't know what's wrong with my computer and don't wanna find out right now...look how small Bob was...hahaha

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Thank you Maggie, the pictures illustrate very well the difference between the two. My wife was very much into daylilies and had multiple varieties including purples and limes. She also had many recipes for them from daylily societies and breeders. I had a 14" lawnmower to mow between clumps (at one point I would have invited Bob to help LOL).

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
M

Maggie Cummings

Itort said:
Thank you Maggie, the pictures illustrate very well the difference between the two. My wife was very much into daylilies and had multiple varieties including purples and limes. She also had many recipes for them from daylily societies and breeders. I had a 14" lawnmower to mow between clumps (at one point I would have invited Bob to help LOL).

She has purple? Oh my I would love some seeds if she gets some. Purple is my favorite color and to have a large purple day lily bush would be wonderful. Would she sell me some seeds? I didn't know there were different colors like that. Oh boy I need to find seeds...Thanks so much for telling me about the different colors...

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
maggie3fan said:
Itort said:

She has purple? Oh my I would love some seeds if she gets some. Purple is my favorite color and to have a large purple day lily bush would be wonderful. Would she sell me some seeds? I didn't know there were different colors like that. Oh boy I need to find seeds...Thanks so much for telling me about the different colors...
Unforunately she passed in 2007 and I sold the place. Growing daylilies from seed is difficult plus I don't think they breed true. Most horticultural varieties are produced through vegetative cuttings. I'll see if the grower shipps (they are in western Ill).

Status
Not open for further replies.