Nessadenae

Location (City and/or State)
Red deer
Hello there!
I have a 6 year old florida box tortoise named Bento.
This is not the first time she has scared me like this when she appears to be sleeping hard... But im really freaked out.
She has an unfamiliar odour coming from her... It is not that pungent, but noticable and not a familiar scent. She is limp and unresponsive to stimulation, i gave her a warm bath and a gentle brushing, nothing. i have put her back into her enclosure under the heat lamp and im hoping she will perk up again (like she alwayd does) but the odour is what is making me nervous.
Any advice is appreciated, love my tortoise girl so much and it never fails to terrify me how hard they can sleep :(

15474857554081768057151.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm sorry to have to tell you this, but that box turtle is dead. Note the sunken eyes. Box turtles in brumation mode will still pull in their head and legs when touched. Also, that's not a Florida. Looks more like maybe a three toe or gulf coast.

That's too bad about his dying. I'm so very sorry!

Nessadenae

Red deer
I took her to my local vet and I fear the worst they’ll be contacting me soon once the vet has had a chance to fully examine her.
I just don’t understand how this could happen. She’s always been in seemingly good health, we take good care of her. She’s just a baby still.. I don’t understand why this could have happened :,(