1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Winter turtle

Discussion in 'American box turtles' started by Michael Naz, Jan 18, 2018.

Help Support Tortoise Forums by donating:

1. Michael Naz

Michael Naz Member

so i live in central florida and my florida box turtle has usually been underground all day with moss atop her, and she hasnt eaten in a while or gone in the water. florida box turtles dont hibernate and she is not, but is it normal for her to not eat in a while through this cold? its been usually 40-60 fahrenheit
  2. wellington

wellington Well-Known Member Moderator 5 Year Member Tortoise Club

Location (City and/or State):
    Chicago, Illinois, USA
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    I don't know much about Box turtles. However, your food snap will make them slow down on eating. Also, does she have a heat source to warm up under that reaches 95-100? If they can't heat up they can't digest their food properly which will make them stop eating.
  3. Yvonne G

Yvonne G Old Timer TFO Admin 10 Year Member! Platinum Tortoise Club

Clovis, CA
    My Florida box turtles hibernate/brumate. I think it all depends upon the weather. He'll be ok until it warms up again.
    jakskillz likes this.
  4. jakskillz

jakskillz Member

Georgia
    Yeah it depends on the turtle but they can hibernate. Their range used to extend into Georgia. Alligators aren’t thought of as big hibernaters but will go inactive during cold spells. Florida box turtles may have the shortest form but they will go inactive. My girls haven’t shown any signs of Brumation, but Franklin hissed at my tonight when I placed the food dish on top of the dirt he had hidden himself so it all depends. He’s been under for the last 3 days