dealing with worms!

suzejay

Location (City and/or State)
london
I saw a roundworm come out of one of my tortoises!

So I gave her medicine for 3 days (at the correct dose) but only 4 adult worms came out... (I bathed her daily, too).

I have isolated her from the other two who are very healthy but should I de-worm them too? (poor babies).

I am keeping them in plastic boxes and newspaper which I am changing daily but they hate it and want to roam the floors which I let them do as I feel so bad for them (4 weeks of treatment is too much to be isolated in a box!)

I am worried that it will infect me/my family so I got some medicine for us which I will give to us all at the same time. Does the whole family need de-worming regularly alongside these tortoises?

How do I clean surfaces that they have walked on... I have heard that bleach is not enough and 250 ppm iodine is the best but I cant find this online anywhere. I have heard that rubbing alcohol can be used but HOW do I use it?

Thanks a lot!!!
:)

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings, welcome to the Forum.

It’s prob not a good idea to have (what sounds like) free roaming torts on your floors. What kind of torts & size?

To your question on worms.

➡️ Can humans get worms from tortoises? No, the types of worms that tortoises suffer from are not a risk to people, but you should obviously wash your hands thoroughly when cleaning out, handling or feeding your tortoise. Disposable gloves are a good idea when cleaning your tortoise's housing, on grounds of good hygiene.

➡️➡️ https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/tortoise-health/worming-your-tortoise/#.Y07vki33ahA

Tianyuzhou88

North Carolina
is worm coming out your egyptian tortoise ? Most Egyptian in United states are captive b and kept indoor. How did worm get there in the first place. send to correct tortoise forum section might be helpful

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
After you've started administering the de wormer. You might see whole dead or dying worms in the poop or you might see next to nothing.
I'm thinking that a lot of the worms get dissolved in the tortoises digestive tract after passing away.
I've seen both.
Dead worms don't always get passed in a recognizable form

Last edited: