Defensive tort

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Just a hint from an old timer to a new comer: We like to use plant saucers sunk down into the substrate for food and water. Easier for a solid, non bending body creature to get in and out.

(Next, after the protecting the food trick, he'll do the pee and poop on the food trick)

leeds
Just a hint from an old timer to a new comer: We like to use plant saucers sunk down into the substrate for food and water. Easier for a solid, non bending body creature to get in and out.

(Next, after the protecting the food trick, he'll do the pee and poop on the food trick)
Thanks for the advice! But what is a plant saucer? Haha. Believe it or not he did actually leave a nice surprise just after this picture haha.

leeds

Sorry, just me being blonde, the hints in the name haha

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Thanks for the advice! But what is a plant saucer? Haha. Believe it or not he did actually leave a nice surprise just after this picture haha.
51mDOykrtVL.jpg

New York
I've been using them for a while and would like to comment on proper sanitation. For the clay you can't throw them in the dishwasher because they will soak in the soap and it will never come out (so I've heard). I boil mine once a month or so make sure they are clean (they start to smell after a while with wet food on them every day). Am I coreect? Is this the best way to clean the clay teracota plates?

Loohan

5 Year Member
North-Central Arkansas
I rinse them off well then let them sit in the warm sun a few days, on the assumption the UV will do the trick.
But on 2nd thought, not sure how wise that is as there may be pathogens deep inside not reached by UV. Of course they will be dry-baked for days in the sun, too. Not sure much will survive that.

Bee62

Germany
I rinse them off well then let them sit in the warm sun a few days, on the assumption the UV will do the trick.
But on 2nd thought, not sure how wise that is as there may be pathogens deep inside not reached by UV. Of course they will be dry-baked for days in the sun, too. Not sure much will survive that.
Hmm, maybe I am too fearless, but I only wash my plant saucers with warm or hot water. I trust that my torts have a functioning immune system. Otherwise I can`t put them outside. There are much more bacterias and virus....

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
I just wash out my Terra Cotta saucer with warm or hot water. I think it's the soaking with soapy water that should be avoided. It dries quickly in my house since it can get so dry inside.