Dehydrated???

Elyzha

Location (City and/or State)
Richmond
I typically feed my tortoise mustard greens and this may sound dumb but do I keep water in his room or not? I thought he gets hydrated from his food.... i try ti soak him at least once a week but i normally dont even see him drinking then... how can i tell if he is dehydrated?? I’mvery worried now. I used to kee water plate thing in his room thing but when i realized he wasnt drinking it i stopped bc then i read something that they get their water needs from the leafy greens they eat.. pls help

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I typically feed my tortoise mustard greens and this may sound dumb but do I keep water in his room or not? I thought he gets hydrated from his food.... i try ti soak him at least once a week but i normally dont even see him drinking then... how can i tell if he is dehydrated?? I’mvery worried now. I used to kee water plate thing in his room thing but when i realized he wasnt drinking it i stopped bc then i read something that they get their water needs from the leafy greens they eat.. pls help
What species and size tortoise?

They do NOT get all their water from their food. You need to have a suitable water bowl in there full time. Terra cotta plants saucers sunk into the substrate work best. Did you have a suitable water bowl, or possibly one that your tort didn't like?

Mustard greens are okay once in a while, but not frequently or daily.

Once a week soaks are okay for adults in some situations. Babies need more.

We need some more info to advise you correctly. What type and size enclosure? What substrate?

Elyzha

Richmond
I use coconut coir. And I’mnot 100% what his species is but hes about 6 inches his shell. And not every day? What would you suggest. I have pellets that i need to soak in water that i occasionally give him with the mustard greens and hes about 5 years old

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I use coconut coir. And I’mnot 100% what his species is but hes about 6 inches his shell. And not every day? What would you suggest. I have pellets that i need to soak in water that i occasionally give him with the mustard greens and hes about 5 years old
If you don't know the species, how do you know if you are giving it the correct care?

Post pics and we will help you identify the species. I can't suggest the correct foods until I know the species.

Elyzha

Richmond
I assumed they generally ate the same things

Attachments

• 52DC12BE-0EA8-4205-9A4B-23506F89EFC6.jpeg
    52DC12BE-0EA8-4205-9A4B-23506F89EFC6.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 36
  • 9876E216-8525-4369-9454-9AF6ED874798.jpeg
    9876E216-8525-4369-9454-9AF6ED874798.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 38
  • 81819054-E118-4B6F-880B-A9942AD63030.jpeg
    81819054-E118-4B6F-880B-A9942AD63030.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 37

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I assumed they generally ate the same things
You have a Russian tortoise. Testudo horsfeildii. You've gotten some bad advice on feeding and housing. They should never be fed fruit.

Here is the current and correct care and feeding info:

Elyzha

Richmond
Okay yes i did stop feeding him fruit, thank you for your help i appreciate it

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Okay yes i did stop feeding him fruit, thank you for your help i appreciate it
He needs more variety in his diet........are you in Richmond UK?

Elyzha

Richmond
Richmond, VA! And yes i am going to start feeding him more of the pellets i got from petstore and different greens daily- not just mustard greens. Thank you all sm for the help. Also i soaked him the other day and i think he might have absorbed some of the water?

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Richmond, VA! And yes i am going to start feeding him more of the pellets i got from petstore and different greens daily- not just mustard greens. Thank you all sm for the help. Also i soaked him the other day and i think he might have absorbed some of the water?
ON West Broad Street there are Tan-A Market and New Grand Market which carry a variety weeds, cactus, and squash blossoms