Sulcata Hatchling Drinking

BowDownBowser

Location (City and/or State)
Jacksonville, Florida
How do you know if your hatchling is drinking? Is it obviously? I see him go into his water now and then and his head sometimes goes down to the water but it doesnt seem like obvious drinking. Also when I soak him the same thing happens, but I can't tell if thats drinking or just how he is standing. Do they absorb water through their skin? Should I see some obvious drinking or is this normal? I just don't want him to get dehydrated. I soak him at least once a day sometimes twice a day.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If he has a shallow water bowl, and you are soaking daily, he is fine. Don't worry about it.

When they dip their head in the water, nostrils and all, and just sit there, they are drinking. Sometimes you can see their throat moving when they do this.

BowDownBowser

Jacksonville, Florida
Tom said:
If he has a shallow water bowl, and you are soaking daily, he is fine. Don't worry about it.

When they dip their head in the water, nostrils and all, and just sit there, they are drinking. Sometimes you can see their throat moving when they do this.

Thanks for the info. He does dip his head like that.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
One day you will see him dip his head in the water and keep it there for what seems like a minute. When his head comes up he will raise it and have that "ahhhh" look. Then you will know for sure that he has had a drink.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
What I notice when mine are drinking is the large muscles on top of the head sort of pulse. This indicates during to me. These are the long muscles between the eyes and the neck. Hope that makes some kind of sense.