dehydration?

Sandy Martinez

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio
Ive had my approx 2 yr old russian 3 days now and i've noticed what looks like a little dryness around his eyes? And his shell also looks a little dry almost like some very fine cracking lines between his scutes....is this dryness from dehydration? I've given him a good soak in warm water twice thus far and he loves just lying there soaking in the warmth.

1447515197826.jpg 1447515310493.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
His eyes do appear to be sunken in slightly. It couldn't hurt to soak him daily for a couple weeks and also to spritz a bit of water over his food daily.

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Always a good idea to go the extra mile to hydrate a new tortoise.

Sandy Martinez

5 Year Member
San Antonio
Ive had my approx 2 yr old russian 3 days now and i've noticed what looks like a little dryness around his eyes? And his shell also looks a little dry almost like some very fine cracking lines between his scutes....is this dryness from dehydration? I've given him a good soak in warm water twice thus far and he loves just lying there soaking in the warmth.

View attachment 155588 View attachment 155589
yes, that's exactly how they look, a little sunken, and dry around the eye, I will soak daily. still trying to get him to eat by offering variety but he doesn't seem interested - he picked a little yesterday but not much. maybe just the newness of everything. he's out and about today, comes toward me when I stop talk to him, very sociable but hasn't touched his food.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Did you make sure to get the right enclosure bulbs for him too? The Zoo Med PowerSun bulb is an excellent choice. :) If he's having trouble trying new things, he might enjoy the Mazuri pellets soaked in water for a couple minutes.

Sandy Martinez

5 Year Member
San Antonio
Did you make sure to get the right enclosure bulbs for him too? The Zoo Med PowerSun bulb is an excellent choice. :) If he's having trouble trying new things, he might enjoy the Mazuri pellets soaked in water for a couple minutes.
yes, i have mazuri, i'll try that tomorrow

Sandy Martinez

5 Year Member
San Antonio
No luck on the mazuri, he didn't touch it. Have been changing his greens everyday to see if he prefers a certain kind but no luck, spring mix, collard greens, turnips, carrots, hibiscus leaves and flowers, opuntia...he just won't eat...he walks right thru his food dish, also lightly spritz water over his greens. Very active, walking around and loves his soaking time but doesn't want to eat. Taking him out for supervised yard time...doesn't touch the clover. Temps are good in his enclosure have his mvb going 12 hrs and the che overnight. Trying to be patient...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
No luck on the mazuri, he didn't touch it. Have been changing his greens everyday to see if he prefers a certain kind but no luck, spring mix, collard greens, turnips, carrots, hibiscus leaves and flowers, opuntia...he just won't eat...he walks right thru his food dish, also lightly spritz water over his greens. Very active, walking around and loves his soaking time but doesn't want to eat. Taking him out for supervised yard time...doesn't touch the clover. Temps are good in his enclosure have his mvb going 12 hrs and the che overnight. Trying to be patient...

Increase the MVB to 13 hours a day, and add a florescent strip light. Your little man seems to think winter sleeping time is coming and he doesn't want to fill his gut. Brighter and longer days should convince him other wise.

Sandy Martinez

5 Year Member
San Antonio
Increase the MVB to 13 hours a day, and add a florescent strip light. Your little man seems to think winter sleeping time is coming and he doesn't want to fill his gut. Brighter and longer days should convince him other wise.
any special brand of florescent strip or maybe just one from walmart? I actually have been leaving the mvb on for longer than 12 hrs sometimes 13 and even 14 hrs a couple of days.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
any special brand of florescent strip or maybe just one from walmart? I actually have been leaving the mvb on for longer than 12 hrs sometimes 13 and even 14 hrs a couple of days.

Any strip light will do. I get mine at Home Depot or Lowes, but try to find a bulb in the 5000-6500K color range. These are the most "natural" looking. The typical 2500K bulbs look very yellow.

While you are there getting your strip light, pick up a digital "appliance timer" too. They cost about $10. Once you set it and plug your lights into it, it will turn your lights on and off at the same time each day for you. For the purposes of preventing the urge to hibernate, you don't want a 14 hour day one day and 12 or 13 the next.

Sandy Martinez

5 Year Member
San Antonio
Any strip light will do. I get mine at Home Depot or Lowes, but try to find a bulb in the 5000-6500K color range. These are the most "natural" looking. The typical 2500K bulbs look very yellow.

While you are there getting your strip light, pick up a digital "appliance timer" too. They cost about $10. Once you set it and plug your lights into it, it will turn your lights on and off at the same time each day for you. For the purposes of preventing the urge to hibernate, you don't want a 14 hour day one day and 12 or 13 the next.
oh wow, didn't know that. ok, we'll try that.