Dent in Shell

Status
Not open for further replies.

dedjer

5 Year Member
Why does my RT have advent in the rear of his shell?

Can you see it in this pic?

ImageUploadedByTortForum1380161266.726642.jpg

Here's annotated pic.

ImageUploadedByTortForum1380161960.304032.jpg

Sorry that should have read "a dent" not "advent". Stupid autocorrect.

Last edited by a moderator:

sibi

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida, USA
Hi, how old is your tort, and where do you keep him? Can we see your setup? I see some slight pyramiding on the carapace. The slight dent, I would say, is nothing to worry about. Many torts develop that dent on their shell. My sully has that dent on his carapace too. I would suggest that you measure the humidity in his enclosure. I believe with Russians you need to keep humidity at about 60%. I may be corrected on the exact percentage, but the point is, he needs a more humid hide or enclosure.

Deb82

5 Year Member
Hello!

I adopted a 10 yr old russian female and her 6 yr old mate about eight months ago. My girl has a dent as well. It is not as pronounced as yours but still there. Nothing to worry about as long as the shell is firm, no rot, and the overall health of the tort is good. I must correct sibi's reply though, russians dwell in arid enviroments an d humidity less than 40% is optimal.
My two have thrived in a 9'x4' indoor enclosure with a temp gradient from 71-74 on the sleeping side to between 87-91 on the basking side. Substrate is repti bark.
Hope this helps. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using TortForum mobile app

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
The 'dent' looks like a normal variation of tortoise growth. As long as it's not squishy, there isn't anything that can be done about it, anyway. Depending on the environment they grew up in, this sometimes happens... most RTs in the pet trade are wild-caught, so we just will never know what happened. An 'ideal' shell is smooth, but even my healthiest tortoises have small variations of dents or bumps from their previous life.

Unless it's squishy, don't worry. It adds character.

Status
Not open for further replies.