Desperately in need of help! (Enclosure)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SatchelMonster

10 Year Member!
Hello Everyone!

First, let me say that I am so glad to have found this forum!

I have a baby Sulcata named Satchel, whom I fondly refer to as The Satchel Monster. He'll turn 3 years old this October.

Here's my issue:
When I got him, I was living in Phoenix, Arizona in a rented home with a large grassy backyard. I've now moved to Austin, Texas with my boyfriend and, for financial reasons, am renting an apartment instead of house.

I am at a loss about how to properly care for my baby in this little apartment. I have purchased a UVB lamp and from a local reptile store, but I really don't want to keep him inside more than absolutely necessary.

Our patio gets sun from about 8am until noon, and I do have about 3 square feet of sod growing in flats, but we're on the second floor and I have serious concerns about my sully making a terrifying attempt at escape. He's a determined climber.

I'll only be in this apartment for a year and (fingers crossed) I'll be renting another house with a yard when I move. But until then, I'm not sure what to do.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I've attached a picture of my satchel monster sleeping in a large pile of clean laundry about two days after I moved into my new place. He likes to find comfy places to sleep. :p

Attachments

• More Satchel Spring in Austin 041.JPG
    More Satchel Spring in Austin 041.JPG
    651.7 KB · Views: 101

Missy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Illinois
Satchel is a nice smooth torty :) Can you post a pic of the balcony? I know there are several members that have made really amazing little enclosures on a balcony.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
he really needs to be outside.. so figure out how to secure the balcony.. lattice along the sides so he cant fall out?
Or do you have a friend with a yard that can keep him till you get out of the apt?

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
How big is your sulcata? We've got a member here (ticothetort2) that built an enclosure on his patio. It might be big enough for the time being. I live in an apartment too but I go to the folks house everyday (3 minute drive) and drop my sulcata off so that he gets sun all day.

The sunshine on your patio seems like it would be enough but its the amount of exercise that he'd need that bothers me.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
hard to tell from the one pic, but I think he looks thin.. if you cant figure out how to secure the balcony, then he really needs his onw space in the apt. Not roaming the floor. lots of reasons why that isnt good...
8-noon sun is perfect. not too hot and its enough time to get what he needs. but inside.. he needs his own space.. you can get a bookshelf and turn in on its back, remove the shelves, line it with plastic, like a shower curtain, add substrate, hides and water dish, heat source and its a great temp home.

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Laura said:
hard to tell from the one pic, but I think he looks thin..

You know...I looked at the picture and he looks about the same size as my 8 1/2 month old Sulcata. Have you weighed him? How big is he?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi SatchelMonster:

Welcome to the forum!!

May we know your name?

I agree with others' opinions about making the balcony tortoise safe. That would be a good place for him. You could use 1"x12" boards and drill small holes in the ends so you can tie or wire them to the railings. Add substrate (cypress mulch) to the floor, a few stepping stones for you to walk on, a couple hiding places, a waterer and a feeding tile and your balcony would be a really nice and attractive addition.

Livingstone

10 Year Member!
Richmond, Va
tortpen.jpg

This is what I did so livingstone could have outside time.
Maybe this will help. The boards are 12" tall and 2" wide, they are joined with door hinges in the middle, so they can be folded up and transported if needed.

Your investment in an MVB is a good one, dont be worried about the tort being inside. My livingstone has been raised almost exclusively indoors, good diet and MVB's are key.

Here's my indoor setup, if you need an idea... Keep in mind this is 8' by 4' so may be a lil too big for an appt.

tortsetup2010.jpg

Very sweet looking lil guy too. Goodluck.

wrmitchell22

5 Year Member
Southeast Arizona
Welcome to the forum, I think you should definately try to set him up on the balcony if possible. It would help us out to know how big he is that way we can be more constructive with our suggestions. I put my little guy on my front patio for about 4 hours everyday and more on the weekends. That is just until I can build his outdoor pen and until he grows a little more :) Good Luck and keep us posted ;)

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Hello and welcome to the forum... All the balcony ideas above are great ideas to get your Sulcata some time in the sun..

SatchelMonster

10 Year Member!
Hello Everyone!

Thank you all so much for your suggestions! I will set him up with an outside area on our balcony. Luckily, our patio is double the length of a typical apt. patio, so I can dedicate an 8ft x 5ft space to his enclosure. I've found a few people on craigslist giving away scrap wood. I'll post pictures of the enclosure once it's set up (hopefully in a couple days).

After looking at other pictures of Sulcatas on this site, I think my Satchel Monster might be small for his age. If the info I received when I got him is correct, he'll turn 3 this coming December. His shell is a little more than six inches lengthwise. He looks well proportioned to me, but I'm no expert.

Thanks again for all your wonderful advice and encouragement!

-Mollie
The Satchel Monster's mama

Status
Not open for further replies.