Destruction

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
PacificNorthWest
Also, besides looking feminine the gular is pretty small.
I have never seen a female Sulcata tortoise, my life is full of male Sulcata. I don't ever quetion male or female, mine are always male. Well, when it gets light, I'll go look

shellcior

Magnolia, Tx
I named "Tank" his name for a reason. I came home the other day to half of my large potted plants laying all over the yard. I thought either a tornado came through or it was just Tank being bored. A few of the pots had to be thrown out as they were beyond repair. lol. I do not keep any harmful plants in the backyard so there was no danger of him getting harmed. I should have warned the plants though. At least I got some exercise that day having to re-pot and re-arrange the yard halfway back to normal. He is a pain at times but i love that big lug to death!!!

Nash

5 Year Member
S. New Mexico
Yes, it is very important for those that are wanting a cute baby sulcata tortoise to know: THEY GROW UP AND LITERALLY PUSH THEIR WEIGHT AROUND! BEWARE! Please I'm begging all of you to think about what your and your sulcata tortoise's lives together are going to be like in JUST 6 years, (weighs about 40lbs). Mine barreled throw my swing, tore down the cinderblock wall we had built for him, was in the process of taking out my huge rose pots and the other fence behind the cinderblock one. He was actually high centered, sideways, lodged between everything. My husband and Nash played tug-a-war until my husband finally got him out without hurting Nash. I was on the side lines praying neither of them were going to get hurt. What's it going to be like in just a couple more years?

We're not really sure why Nash did this. He was sure showing his naughty side for 2 weeks before he got stuck in limbo. He was content and happy but 3 things changed in his life. We had a lot of smoke from the California fires, we thought that was upsetting him. He wouldn't calm down! He paced and paced and paced. It was also about that time that we had a lot of company, lots of kids. But I thought I did a great job keeping them away from Nash. I threatened them within an inch of their lives; usually it's pretty quiet around here. AND we also had just made him one of those nice 4X4 Tom Night Boxes. Could he have been so content and happy in that old shed and was showing he was not happy with his new home? It was economically not feasible to keep him in there another winter. Things are a little better now. Do they have such a personality that they get angry when things don't go their way, when you bring something different into their lives??? Mine was a male, could that have had something to do with it? We actually thought maybe there was another tortoise around. Could have a wondering desert tortoise upset him? So watch out my dear new sulcata friends, beware!

Sue Ann

chapin , South Carolina

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
He looks so sweet! How big is he?
He is the holy terror of all Sulcata everywhere. He was found 2 years ago on a street in downtown Portland Oregon. I have had him since then. He's a horrible tortoise, and even bent the pole on a chain link gate trying to get out. He weighs 35 lbs, and for some unknown reason I think he is 5 or 6 yrs.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
A fine looking Sheila is I ever saw one.....one that has been around the block, maybe put away wet a couple times, but a beautiful b/c of her imperfections....isn't that a song too?

I was one of those who Clemson taught about life before he passed. For many years he had free run of home/yard.....while he passed before his time, he seemed to relish making his presence known. Owners of older, heavier boys & girls will leave their screen doors open if they like them(I modded mine to open 1/3 of the bottom with weights on the ends), stairs uncluttered or it will all end up on the floor, laundry is only placed high, French door fridge is nice b/c a lock will be required for a side type door....yes, he would open it....but never closed it, just like the kids! You will trip over the moving mass, be awakened by grunts and scratching......you will learn that socks do not protect table and chair legs....basically as they get older and bigger, they seem to become....here's a fav word today....."Entitled".....yes, Clemson was entitled....and he knew it!

I suspect Knobby does as well........lol

but to me, you'll still never have a better pet....than one of our little friends.

Thanks for the smiles this morning....work is a bear today!

jeff

Reactions: Ink