Diamondbacks in Full Marine Conditions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brewster320

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts, USA
I was just curious as to whether anyone has kept DBTs in full marine conditions. I know they are often kept in brackish conditions as well as freshwater but in nature I know there are populations of terrapins that live in full saltwater. I wonder how live rock would help with the filtration of a turtle lol. Obviously they wouldn't be reef safe but it'd be interesting seeing one in such a setup with live rock, coraline algae, macros, and possibly some hardy marine fish such as damsels. It'd be like a mini-sea turtle lol

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
DBTs can live in a marine environment with certain conditions. At least once a week they would need a period time in freshwater to replenish systemic water needs (they can't drink marine water or even heavier concentrations of brackish water). They would enjoy living rock though you wouldn't like the affect they would have on it. Fish would be considered a food source (I keep about 100 guppies with mine as a self perpetuating food source).

Brewster320

5 Year Member
Massachusetts, USA
Yeah I new that they needed to be soaked once a week in fresh. Figured fish would be food, thats why I figured something like damsels as they aren't expensive and they are fast (my brother has a reef tank and his damsels are crazy fast!). and what do they do to the rocks? Do they chew them up or something? Thnks for the info!

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
I base this on the fact that they feed on mullusks in wild. I give mine small clams (sold as food for marine fish) once a week and they are good clam crunchers. I feel they would destroy living rock fast to get at the goodies there in.

Brewster320

5 Year Member
Massachusetts, USA
That's definitely something I haven't thought of. I wonder how long it's take them to go through live rock if they would and if they can. They definitely have string breaks though given what they eat.

Status
Not open for further replies.