Found hatchling in my pool

Akerp

Location (City and/or State)
Vero Beach FL
Hello all, I’m new here. I found a hatchling in my enclosed pool yesterday. I am completely stumped on how he got in and how long he’s been in there. The pool is saltwater so I quickly got him into some freshwater and made a little space for him to be safe and not drown with dry land (as per suggestions on this site). Is this a Florida box turtle? He is about the size of a quarter and just adorable. He’s doing well today and we are headed out for supplies..
upload_2018-11-15_8-47-26.jpeg

Thank you!

Akerp

Vero Beach FL
I would like to return him to the wild but my kids are scared that he is so small and needs a chance to grow a little. Had I been home alone, my kids would have never even known about him, lol.
Thoughts?

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I would like to return him to the wild but my kids are scared that he is so small and needs a chance to grow a little. Had I been home alone, my kids would have never even known about him, lol.
Thoughts?

I would release it. Box turtles are already pretty hard to find in the wild, and if hat one makes it too adulthood in the wild, it could really improve their numbers :)

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
I realize the original poster has already returned the three-striped mud turtle to the wild, but I want to make another comment for future reference, in case someone goes researching later.

In a pinch, you could probably get away with treating a U.S. mud turtle the same as an box turtle. Make sure the turtle has a big enough water dish to get into, and keep in mind you may have to feed them (box turtles as well as mud turtles) in the water. At least some mud turtles CAN eat on land, but that doesn't mean that they WILL.