Did perlite sneak into my substrate.

ReddyFreddy

5 Year Member
I use have Kellog organic garden soil topped with coco husk as my substrate and have done so for years, but this recent batch I have noticed small white balls in it, some are stiff like styrofoam and others are crumbly. I specifically use the soil I do because it lacks perlite but I am wondering if some snuck in. It isnt alot like you would see in potting mix so I am unsure. 20230805_202254[1487].jpg

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Palm Bay Fl
Sorry I can't help you. I think you need a chemist. 😁
I guess it also depends on what state that bag came from.

ReddyFreddy

5 Year Member
Sorry I can't help you. I think you need a chemist. 😁
I guess it also depends on what state that bag came from.
I guess it could be the dolomite, thats included in some states. I`ve used this brand before and never had issues and its such a small amount im and mostly under the surface not sure if i should worry.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I guess it could be the dolomite, thats included in some states. I`ve used this brand before and never had issues and its such a small amount im and mostly under the surface not sure if i should worry.
Did you notice if the bag was filled at another location in a different state.
I think you could be right about the dolomite.

ReddyFreddy

5 Year Member
Did you notice if the bag was filled at another location in a different state.
I think you could be right about the dolomite.
Honestly I thought that meant if it was sold in that state thats what it would have lol

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
what does it crumble into? if its a powder, it might be dolomite. but I'd think perlite is more likely overall. Or it could be actual styrofoam. would be far from the first time 'litter' has found its way into a bag of soil or mulch.

ReddyFreddy

5 Year Member
what does it crumble into? if its a powder, it might be dolomite. but I'd think perlite is more likely overall. Or it could be actual styrofoam. would be far from the first time 'litter' has found its way into a bag of soil or mulch.
it crumbles , at first i thought it was a urate . and yes ive seen litter before too, i just pick it out

zovick

10 Year Member!
it crumbles , at first i thought it was a urate . and yes ive seen litter before too, i just pick it out
Maybe some of the poultry manure didn't get fully composted before it was mixed into the soil and bagged. That is my guess from looking at the photo.

It doesn't look like perlite to me and I don't believe perlite would crumble very readily. Not sure about dolomite, but that is just calcium-magnesium carbonate and I don't believe eating a small amount of it would be harmful. It is fairly well soluble in mild acids (think stomach acid).

ReddyFreddy

5 Year Member
Maybe some of the poultry manure didn't get fully composted before it was mixed into the soil and bagged. That is my guess from looking at the photo.

It doesn't look like perlite to me and I don't believe perlite would crumble very readily. Not sure about dolomite, but that is just calcium-magnesium carbonate and I don't believe eating a small amount of it would be harmful. It is fairly well soluble in mild acids (think stomach acid).
yea and i always thought perlite was more uniform in shape