Diet

Location (City and/or State)
Utah
Hi, I just got my little hageshī (red foot tortoise) and I was wondering what the proper diet is for it. It’s too young to sex.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
From LLL Reptile:

"Red foot and yellow foot tortoises, like most tortoises, are primarily herbivores. The majority of their diet should consist of dark leafy greens such as collard greens, mustard greens, beet tops, carrot tops, green and red leaf lettuce, and kale. Variety is key, so do not be afraid to experiment with different types of greens. In the wild, these tortoises are able to eat hundreds of different types of plants, and in captivity variety is one of the key components of successfully keeping these beautiful tortoises. In addition to fresh leafy greens, red foots and yellow foots can and should be offered various hays to add fiber to their diet. Offering hay along with commercially available forest tortoise diets can make up the base of a tortoise's diet, with the greens changing from feeding to feeding.

Fruit may also be offered but should not make up more than 15% of the overall diet. Banana, papaya, kiwi, melon, and figs are all good choices. Avoid citrus and overly watery fruits, as these are not only unappealing, but provide little in the way of nutrition. Caution should be used when feeding fruit, as these tortoises can become rather addicted to them, and will react like spoiled children if not offered the fruit of their choice at every feeding. Feed fruit no more often than once or twice a week, and focus your attention on providing a varied and nutritious diet of greens. When offering fruit, fresh is best, but in winter or when tropical fruits are hard to come by, canned fruit such as canned papaya or various other canned products are excellent options for adding fruit to the diet when fruit is hard to come by.

Red foot and yellow foot tortoises are suspected of eating more animal protein than other tortoise species. With enough supplementation it is possible to feed them a strictly vegetarian diet, but most keepers have far more success with them by occasionally offering animal protein. These foods can consist of specially formulated omnivorous tortoise diet, canned snails, hard boiled egg, meal worms, lean ground turkey, and the occasional pre-killed rodent. Remember, only once or twice a month to provide dietary diversity. Overfeeding of these types of food can be detrimental over time.

Young animals should be offered food either daily or every other day, depending on the amount they consume. Growing tortoises should eat a pile of food nearly as big as they are within a 24 hour period. Older animals should be offered food at least 3 time a week, if not every other day. Uneaten or moldy food should be removed immediately.

All foods should be dusted lightly with a quality calcium/vitamin supplement at every feeding for growing animals, and once or twice a week for adults. Make sure that the calcium supplement you choose contains vitamin D3, as this will largely decease the chances of any metabolic disorders in fast growing tortoises. The formulas and dosage information for these products will vary from one manufacturer to the next, so examine the label and directions carefully before use. If in doubt, consult an experienced reptile veterinarian or a veteran tortoise keeper."

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Great information above.
However, I do and have been feeding up to 50% fruit on occasion.
Redfoot can handle sugars that most other species cannot.
During the summer. I have access to very inexpensive fruit and flowers and they make up a large part of my mixed diet. A long time keeper who's information I respect actually advocates up to 60% of low sugar fruits is what should be fed.
The part about them getting addicted to fruit is also true. Never feed only fruit.