is my tort pyramiding

redfootclare

Hi all my almost 6 year old red foot has a balanced and varied diet, proper uv and heat and gets cuttlefish. He seems to be starting to pyramid. What else can I do?????

Attachments

• 20150720_100801.jpg
    20150720_100801.jpg
    902.9 KB · Views: 95

redfootclare

He has a water bowl in the viv and I mist the whole area everyday should I increase to twice a day. The humidity is 65

redfootclare

The dial may be wrong as its a few years old. Hes not been with me for 2 years as I was away in uni so mums been looking after him. I feel so bad im now crying. He means everything to me. Im disabled so cant cope with many ttpes of pet and hes been great for me

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Check the substrate with your finger, feel down to the bottom. Even if the top is dry, the bottom should be damp. Misting puts moisture in the air for a short time & dampens the top of the substrate, but the water doesn't penetrate the substrate deeply. It works better to pour water in. Some people stir the water in, if their tortoises don't make it happen. You may still need to mist occasionally, but can't rely on it.

redfootclare

I use orchid bark specifically for humid terrariums and it does feel damp but not overly is that okay

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
The condition is cosmetic, really. All four of mine are pyramided to some point. If you can close off most of the top, it will help tremendously.
You can't reverse it, but you can stop it from getting worse. (the pyramiding)
also, a digital temp/humidity gauge is MUCH more accurate and at $20, not expensive. Home depot or Walmart has them.

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Those dial gauges suck big time and are highly inaccurate. It may say 65% but I'm sure its less than that. Home depot sells a digital gauge that measures both humidity and temperature for $10, I recommend switching to that. Pyramiding is caused by lack of humidity not diet issues. Don't beat yourself up, that pyramiding isn't that bad and its not hurting him whatsoever...cosmetic only. Ill dig up the link for you on the gauge but its made by Accurite and called a home comfort meter.

redfootclare

Thanks both :) ive ordered one of those gauges so will have it in the next week. Zeropilot what do you mean by close of the top.

Im trying not to beat myself up. I know its not too bad but want to make sure it doesnt get any worse

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Thanks both :) ive ordered one of those gauges so will have it in the next week. Zeropilot what do you mean by close of the top.

Im trying not to beat myself up. I know its not too bad but want to make sure it doesnt get any worse
I mean make it a "closed chamber" by placing a sheet of plexiglass on top. It helps a LOT with keeping constant humidity.

redfootclare

Ah I see. Im hoping in the next year or so (when we have space and if the lanlord agrees) to design and build my own emclosure for him. The viv hes in is great but obviously as he gets bigger he will need mpre space. But there is a lid on the viv so hopefully thats helpinh

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Closed chambers mean a virtually air tight lid. The lid will hold the heat and humidity in, where it's supposed to be. If air can get in heat and humidity can escape. Most people are afraid of closed chambers because they think there tort will die without air flow.

If a tortoise can survive 24 hours in a box being shipped it can survive 24 hours in your closed chamber just fine. You will exchange more than enough air opening it up everyday to feed, clean and swap out a water dish.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hi Clare and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.
Good advice already given so good luck to you and your redfoot.
he still looks nice, despite the pyramiding.

redfootclare

Hi Clare and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum.
Good advice already given so good luck to you and your redfoot.
he still looks nice, despite the pyramiding.

Hi thankyou its nice to be part of a tort community now. I love my red foot. Im hoping when we have our own house (in at least five years time due to uni) I can have a female and maybe some other species

yes great advice im so greatful ive been worried sick

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Sorry about thay pyramiding in your tort. Just take care, and make sure that it stops there. HUMIDITY is what your tort needs. Is the climate that dry where you live? I fear that pyramiding in my beloved tort, as I live in Jordan where the climate is extremely dry: it's desert climate.

And a very warm welcome to the forum.

redfootclare

Sorry about thay pyramiding in your tort. Just take care, and make sure that it stops there. HUMIDITY is what your tort needs. Is the climate that dry where you live? I fear that pyramiding in my beloved tort, as I live in Jordan where the climate is extremely dry: it's desert climate.

And a very warm welcome to the forum.

I live in the UK his humidity is now 74% so its getting to the proper level. Will keep an eye and am going to do lots of research into how I can manage it. I feel so bad but like I orginally said hes been with my mum for 2 years and I dont think she was wetting the bark or misting the viv. I cant have a go at her though as she was kind enough to look after him

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I live in the UK his humidity is now 74% so its getting to the proper level. Will keep an eye and am going to do lots of research into how I can manage it. I feel so bad but like I orginally said hes been with my mum for 2 years and I dont think she was wetting the bark or misting the viv. I cant have a go at her though as she was kind enough to look after him
That is a problem when one relies on somebody who does not care for animals or does not like them. (I don't mean anything against your mother, ok?)

As I mentioned I live in Jordan, where the climate is very dry. One day I left home for two to three days. I made sure that Oli's (my beloved tort) enclosure is NOT DRY, and then provided the food and water. Imagine how dry the climate is here.

redfootclare

Very happy with this. 75% humidity and it didnt take long to get to that. Now I know what works to keep it at that level and timmys diet has changed hopefully there wont be any more pyramiding. Thank you all so much for your help

one very happy tortoise and owner :)

1437592993755.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: