Dino says hello

Dino_White

Location (City and/or State)
Indonesia
Hi fellow tortoise lover, I am Albert and this is Dino .
20180625_232808.jpg 20180627_113527.jpg 20180627_113605.jpg 20180627_113846.jpg
We're from Java, Indonesia.
I got my Pardalis 10 days ago and I am not sure which sub-species of pardalis is Dino though? But I think it's Pardalis pardalis o_O.

I don't have proper place for my Dino for a While but I plan to make a tortoise table really soon :)

I would love to be part of this lovely forum, my experience and knowledge are still very limited, so I want to learn and share my experience with you guys as we grow together

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hi fellow tortoise lover, I am Albert and this is Dino .
View attachment 243225 View attachment 243226 View attachment 243227 View attachment 243228
We're from Java, Indonesia.
I got my Pardalis 10 days ago and I am not sure which sub-species of pardalis is Dino though? But I think it's Pardalis pardalis o_O.

I don't have proper place for my Dino for a While but I plan to make a tortoise table really soon :)

I would love to be part of this lovely forum, my experience and knowledge are still very limited, so I want to learn and share my experience with you guys as we grow together

Hello and welcome. I would begin soaks for the tortoise straight away...a shallow soaking dish that the tort can comfortably set in and easily hold its head out of the water.....kinda warm (not hot) water and let the tort soak for 20 to 30 minutes a couple of times per day....also, how are you keeping its enclosure warm day and night....the tortoise can not be allowed to get cold for any extended period of time....does this tortoise open its eyes most of the time?

Dino_White

Indonesia
Hello and welcome. I would begin soaks for the tortoise straight away...a shallow soaking dish that the tort can comfortably set in and easily hold its head out of the water.....kinda warm (not hot) water and let the tort soak for 20 to 30 minutes a couple of times per day....also, how are you keeping its enclosure warm day and night....the tortoise can not be allowed to get cold for any extended period of time....does this tortoise open its eyes most of the time?

Yes, I have soak the tortoise everyday under the sun every morning :) and give its food after and in the evening. I used this bulb to warm my tortoise 20180627_131531.jpg 20180627_131545.jpg

Since I put it in my room. And I turn it of at night at 10. The temperature here is warm 31celcius (88 F) in the afternoon, 25 celcius (77F) in late night.

My tortoise sleeps frequently, it open its eyes in the morning, and when it soaking in the water, and while eating, and after that it always find shaded comfortable area to close its eyes until its dinner time. It's most active time is at night because I let it walk around the house after dinner, but still after a while, it manage to find dark area to close its eyes. Is it normal?

Thanks for the reply and suggestion Ascott :)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Yes, I have soak the tortoise everyday under the sun every morning :) and give its food after and in the evening. I used this bulb to warm my tortoise View attachment 243229 View attachment 243230

Since I put it in my room. And I turn it of at night at 10. The temperature here is warm 31celcius (88 F) in the afternoon, 25 celcius (77F) in late night.

My tortoise sleeps frequently, it open its eyes in the morning, and when it soaking in the water, and while eating, and after that it always find shaded comfortable area to close its eyes until its dinner time. It's most active time is at night because I let it walk around the house after dinner, but still after a while, it manage to find dark area to close its eyes. Is it normal?

Thanks for the reply and suggestion Ascott :)

Well, you said that you have had the tort for a short time....so I would really pay attention to its behavior for the next few weeks....I would be sure that you offer a basking spot that gets to 100 to 110 F that the tort can move into and out of on its own....continue soaks and be sure to offer foods that interest the tort.....

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
What a beautiful tort! You have come to the right place. The members here have been so helpful to me. If you get some feedback that sounds tough. Don't take it the wrong way. There are a lot of informed members that just want the best for you and your tort. I love your tort. Makes me want to get one.

Dino_White

Indonesia
Well, you said that you have had the tort for a short time....so I would really pay attention to its behavior for the next few weeks....I would be sure that you offer a basking spot that gets to 100 to 110 F that the tort can move into and out of on its own....continue soaks and be sure to offer foods that interest the tort.....

Yes, I would love to pay attention to the baby tortoise but, I have to go to work :(. will it be okay if I leave it in the cage with water and the light turned on? wow 100 to 110 F isn't it a bit too hot for the baby? I just bought exo terra night heat lamp 50W but I don't think it's warm enough though since it is open cage, and the heat will spread away. How do you stop pyramiding on baby Pardalis? since I saw sign of pyramiding on the shell?

Dino_White

Indonesia
What a beautiful tort! You have come to the right place. The members here have been so helpful to me. If you get some feedback that sounds tough. Don't take it the wrong way. There are a lot of informed members that just want the best for you and your tort. I love your tort. Makes me want to get one.

Thank you Ray--Opo :). Yes I am glad that I joined the forum, full of people with same passion. Of course I would love to learn from the experts here.
ooh you should get one.. they are so cute and beautiful, can't stop playing with them :D

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Yes, I would love to pay attention to the baby tortoise but, I have to go to work :(. will it be okay if I leave it in the cage with water and the light turned on? wow 100 to 110 F isn't it a bit too hot for the baby? I just bought exo terra night heat lamp 50W but I don't think it's warm enough though since it is open cage, and the heat will spread away. How do you stop pyramiding on baby Pardalis? since I saw sign of pyramiding on the shell?

Well, most of us have to work....but you still need to provide a beneficial enclosure for the tortoise for the many hours you are away but the tort is there...it is not right to expect the tort to "wait" around while you work....I don't mean that in a crappy way, but just forward. No, a basking spot it just that...a spot that is the hottest in the enclosure..you will want to make sure that the tort can move into and safely away from the hottest basking spot into cooler areas so that the tort can self regulate....the enclosure needs to be a size that this is possible...as many micro climates as possible is necessary...remember, you are forcing an animal to remain in a confined space...you need to offer at least the minimal basics for the tort to utilize to assure it can warm enough to promote appetite as well as digestion...you need to offer a place that the tort can safely hide out of the warmth but not cold and wet....you need to offer a place where the tort can hydrate....when I say keep an eye on the tort I do not mean 24/7 leering.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I put a webcam in Opo's hold. I can view Opo from my phone at anytime. You might not get much work done lol