Disarming turtle traps

Noelluene

Location (City and/or State)
Shenzhen, China
So here in southeast Asia trapping turtles is illegal but many people still do it because of how lucrative it is. I occasionally see protected species such as four-eyed turtles and big headed turtles (which i think are wild caught) being sold as exotic pets or even sometimes food. The trappers place turtle traps in river streams in the mountains where these critically endangered species sometimes appear. I try to report these traps to authorities whenever I can or try to trigger them with a stick.

Is there any way I can potentially disarm these traps in a way that can no longer be reused but not appear as if sometime has destroyed it? These cages are similar to rat traps where there is a piece of bait with a sliding door that snaps shut when triggered.

Last edited:

Maryalice

Pasig City, Metro Manila, Philippinex
So here in southeast Asia trapping turtles is illegal but many people still do it because of how lucrative it is. I occasionally see protected species such as four-eyed turtles and big headed turtles (which i think are wild caught) being sold as exotic pets or even sometimes food. The trappers place turtle traps in river streams in the mountains where these critically endangered species sometimes appear. I try to report these traps to authorities whenever I can or try to trigger them with a stick.

Is there any way I can potentially disarm these traps in a way that can no longer be reused but not appear as if sometime has destroyed it? These cages are similar to rat traps where there is a piece of bait with a sliding door that snaps shut when triggered.
Effective actions against these illegal activities are long-term and cannot be done by you alone. A movement against turtle trapping has to be created, and this can be done when local communities understand the negative impact to their environment, and consequently, to their livelihoods, should these species become extinct. With such awareness, the local communities will do their own policing. It's not a one-time action, and could take years before an effective movement can grow. It's good though that someone (you) is starting it.

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
The best thing to do is report them to people who actually want to do something about it. Sometimes you go to authorities and their just like, "yeah, yeah sure." And they rarely do anything. The way those traps work is with weight so you could trigger them would stones, although they'll just be reset. You could just release the turtles or remove the bate as well, but always be safe.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster

Maybe a picture of the traps could give someone an idea here that could remain incognito.?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga

Sledgehammer

Noelluene

Shenzhen, China
Maybe a picture of the traps could give someone an idea here that could remain incognito.?
There are usually 2 types of traps. I don't have pictures of them but I can find pictures of these types of traps online. This is the most common type of trap i see, it looks like this but a bit smaller. They place them in slow flowing streams and put bait such as fish or shrimp inside. Normally I try to take out the bait and flip them over but ik it doesn't destroy them. Technically the wires can be cut but it would seem really suspicious to carry bolt cutters into the mountains and I don't wanna get in trouble.

Turtle-Trap.jpg

The second type is even simpler but I think its worse. They deliberately place it near nesting areas to catch babies. I didn't find a picture of it online but here's what it generally looks like. They put bait inside and leafs to conceal the trap. the hinge on the trap is one-way so it cannot be opened from inside at all. They are also tied down so I can take it away and put it on a tree or something. I can take the bait out but because it is placed in spots that baby turtles would like they can still catch turtles without bait.

Capture.PNG

This is not my picture. It is from local authorities. But it kinda shows how they are placed and set up.
fre_you_03.jpg

dd33

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Florida
There is nothing to trigger or break on the first trap you posted. The turtles crawl onto the platform to sun themselves and when they dive off into the water they are trapped in the basket.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
@Sitona : The Forum doesn't encourage its members to do anything illegal. Even though the traps are probably illegal, they are someone else's property, and for you to vandalize them it might be illegal, to say nothing of how dangerous for you if the trapper catches you. Please just note down the locations and report the traps to whichever government agency is in charge of turtles.

And please everyone, stop giving her illegal ideas.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
There are usually 2 types of traps. I don't have pictures of them but I can find pictures of these types of traps online. This is the most common type of trap i see, it looks like this but a bit smaller. They place them in slow flowing streams and put bait such as fish or shrimp inside. Normally I try to take out the bait and flip them over but ik it doesn't destroy them. Technically the wires can be cut but it would seem really suspicious to carry bolt cutters into the mountains and I don't wanna get in trouble.

View attachment 335258

The second type is even simpler but I think its worse. They deliberately place it near nesting areas to catch babies. I didn't find a picture of it online but here's what it generally looks like. They put bait inside and leafs to conceal the trap. the hinge on the trap is one-way so it cannot be opened from inside at all. They are also tied down so I can take it away and put it on a tree or something. I can take the bait out but because it is placed in spots that baby turtles would like they can still catch turtles without bait.

View attachment 335259

This is not my picture. It is from local authorities. But it kinda shows how they are placed and set up.
View attachment 335260
I'm glad you're trying to find a way to do this but please stay safe in the meantime.? On the first picture how do the turtles go in? It looks like the top is the doors into it and maybe won't let the animals out once they go in? The second picture is something I would stomp on accidentally of course with big boots (after making sure there was no little babies ?)woops ?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
@Sitona : The Forum doesn't encourage its members to do anything illegal. Even though the traps are probably illegal, they are someone else's property, and for you to vandalize them it might be illegal, to say nothing of how dangerous for you if the trapper catches you. Please just note down the locations and report the traps to whichever government agency is in charge of turtles.

Ok.

Noelluene

Shenzhen, China

I agree. I normally try to disarm them only in a way that doesn't vandalize them such as flipping the trap over. The idea to map out their locations is useful tho, I might try that.

deniseabsender

Yellow Springs, OH
American are alwasy so afraid of everything. This practice is illegal and disabling the traps is the right thing to do. In Ohio, for instance it is ellegal to capture and keep native species. If you do not want to do it yourself, take pictures and contact the local authorities. Congratulations of being such a compassionate person and I thank you in behalf of the poor turtles that you are helping to save.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I agree. I normally try to disarm them only in a way that doesn't vandalize them such as flipping the trap over. The idea to map out their locations is useful tho, I might try that.
I think mapping and turning over that information is the best idea anyway. If you destroy the traps they can just bring back more. But if the authorities catch them the problem will be stopped.

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
American are alwasy so afraid of everything. This practice is illegal and disabling the traps is the right thing to do. In Ohio, for instance it is ellegal to capture and keep native species. If you do not want to do it yourself, take pictures and contact the local authorities. Congratulations of being such a compassionate person and I thank you in behalf of the poor turtles that you are helping to save.
Hey! Not all of us are afraid of everything... im only afraid of Yvonne