DIY enclosure

Skelly

Location (City and/or State)
Kildare, Ireland
So I’m looking to upgrade little foots enclosure as he is currently in a 2ft vivarium I have been looking around and seen that this glass cabinet from ikea is used a lot for diy enclosures, I know glass isn’t as good as wood but I was thinking of the walls with a coco background and then placing loads of plants around and get some climbing plants as they will attach to the coco background if anyone could recommend any id really appreciate it, and then to get a wooden lid for the top that I will attach my lighting to, I’d love to hear some opinions on this idea

Attachments

• 50811485-2830-426C-B677-91704DE4836E.png
    50811485-2830-426C-B677-91704DE4836E.png
    54 KB · Views: 40

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
How big is Little Foot, and what species? This cabinet is really small. I don't think "loads of plants" is going to happen in this. It's too narrow.

Skelly

Kildare, Ireland
How big is Little Foot, and what species? This cabinet is really small. I don't think "loads of plants" is going to happen in this. It's too narrow.
He is only 75mm he’s still less than a year old and he is a Hermanns tortoise I would still be upgrading again after this

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I think the dimensions are okay for a small hermanni, but are the seams of this glass cabinet sealed? You'd have to make sure they were to keep substrate or water from leaking out, and then you'd have to make some sort of overhead bar to hang your lights from. I'm not sure how this is easier or better than just building a simple wooden table.

Skelly

Kildare, Ireland
I think the dimensions are okay for a small hermanni, but are the seams of this glass cabinet sealed? You'd have to make sure they were to keep substrate or water from leaking out, and then you'd have to make some sort of overhead bar to hang your lights from. I'm not sure how this is easier or better than just building a simple wooden table.
I will be sealing it with aquarium sealant and I have a sheet of wood to go over top that I will be attaching the lighting to and cutting some ventilation holes I just thought it would be better as it would be more like a vivarium this way than a tortoise table so it will be easier to control the temperatures

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I will be sealing it with aquarium sealant and I have a sheet of wood to go over top that I will be attaching the lighting to and cutting some ventilation holes I just thought it would be better as it would be more like a vivarium this way than a tortoise table so it will be easier to control the temperatures
It could work.