DIY Humid hides

Salspi

Location (City and/or State)
Chicago
DA6FFF94-715E-4257-AF12-21F8ADC864B2.jpeg Hi folks

I decided to DIY my own kind of humid hide. Maybe it’s been done by others before. I haven’t seen it before so I wanted to share it in case it can help others.

This is a clay pot that I Dremeled in half. Then I siliconed the clay saucer to the top and cut out an entrance. You don’t have to silicone it. You can just rest it on top if u want. I then filled the saucer to the top with water. Because it’s clay it will absorb the water and create a very nice humid but not wet hide. I didn’t like the idea of using clay pots with a wet sponge on top. Guaranteed, they would fall off and tortoise will eat the sponge! Also, I don’t like using Spagnum moss to create humid hides.

The humidity of the room I tested this in was 41%. And the humid hide measured 73%. When I put this in my vivarium, humidity will be even higher because the water in the saucer will help to humidify the enclosure.

Obviously there are many ways to make a humid hide. Feel free to give your input if you think I’m doing something wrong. Thanks

Salspi

Chicago
The bottom doesn’t have to be totally precise since it’s going into the substrate. This is a detailed photo of the bottom

3DBC0854-2DE6-44DF-B893-73D38F75D6D1.jpeg

Salspi

Chicago
I’d like to paint the siliconed part to match the clay pot. Does anyone have a recommendation on tortoise safe paint?