DNA VARIATION IN EASTERN AND WESTERN SULCATA

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SoCal
Here is a reprint of the article on mtDNA variation in Eastern and Western sulcata. Thanks to Ben for sending me the article...enjoy!

or8q38.jpg

35b9rf6.jpg

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Wow, thank you for sharing that with us. Very interesting. Also, looking at the map, it looks like the sulcata's geographic distribution has shrunken considerably.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
SILVERSTAR said:
so it sounds like there is a difference but only slightly or sumthing ? IDK THEY LOST ME A BIT.

Yeah, there is a small genetic difference between the eastern and western populations, although it is cryptic and not outwardly reflected in their morphology. In other words, if you had an eastern and a western sulcata in front of you, you wouldn't know their place of origin just by looking at them; you would need to run a genetic test to be sure.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
GeoTerraTestudo said:
SILVERSTAR said:
so it sounds like there is a difference but only slightly or sumthing ? IDK THEY LOST ME A BIT.

Yeah, there is a small genetic difference between the eastern and western populations, although it is cryptic and not outwardly reflected in their morphology. In other words, if you had an eastern and a western sulcata in front of you, you wouldn't know their place of origin just by looking at them; you would need to run a genetic test to be sure.

This explanation was easier to understand, the more I read the more I was lost also..

Status
Not open for further replies.