Do Box Turtles kill hatchlings

jskahn

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wickenburg, AZ
Someone had asked me, if you keep a group of Boxes, would they kill hatchlings. It made me wonder. I have kept Boxes in large enclosures and occasionally found hatchlings, but it made me wonder if there had been more hatchlings that were killed.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
Yes! The adults often see them as food (as they are fast and small - they think they're bugs.) Unfortunately, I have found dead hatchlings (when I miss a nest and they hatch in the ground) from time to time. I usually find their little bodies though. It seems the adults bite them, then realize they aren't food and leave it. :(

jskahn

5 Year Member
Wickenburg, AZ
Not the reply I was hoping for, but it is a good warning. With Greek and Marginated tortoises, I never found any dead hatchlings, but they are vegetarians.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
Not the reply I was hoping for, but it is a good warning. With Greek and Marginated tortoises, I never found any dead hatchlings, but they are vegetarians.

i don't think it matters if the are vegetarian's even torts have been known to snag down a "bug" which they could miss see a hatchling for

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, and hatchlings kill hatchlings. If you keep hatchlings together chances are good you will end up with missing legs or bites taken out of the edge of shells. I speak from personal experience.

thea lester

5 Year Member
New Orleans, LA
So, if I'm potentially keeping 4 boxie babies separate, and outdoors, any good ideas on lil water dishes?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Because they're so darned small, a small plant saucer works pretty good, but you may have to add a layer of pebbles to make it even more shallow.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Again. New information to me. Great place to learn! ! ! Thanks! !