Do sullys hybernate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hustleharder

5 Year Member
So I put a complete dark half log in there encloser and one of my little guys has been in the dark for a couple of days. I got scared that maybe he died and I took him out and put him under the lights to bask. He seems to be alright. Did I interrupt hybernation?

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum mobile app

tiff3grl

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
No they do not hibernate. Depending on temps they will slow down. That goes both ways for warmer weather as well as cooler. Right now mine gets up early and grazes, hides away most of the day due to the heat and then comes back out once it cools off again. Mine are housed outside though.

Love4tortoises

5 Year Member
Mission Viejo, CA
Mine does the same thing as the one mentioned above. He comes out right when I turn his lights on in the morning, grazes on his food, and then goes right back in his hide until later in the evening when his temps get a little lower and his lights go off. Mine is housed inside in a 55 gallon tank because he is still so tiny. :)

hustleharder

5 Year Member
My temps are 80 under the light and around 72 on the other side of the tank. I have long 55 gallon tank. Ever since I took koopa out of the half log he's been eating and running around. (By running I mean grazing) I guess he just was really tired and was sleeping. They get active when the lights come on and then die down some.

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum mobile app

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
I think doing some more homework on your chosen species is a good idea... have you read all the info in the Sulcata section? at the top?

Status
Not open for further replies.