Do us tort owners ever have group meets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GregUnd

5 Year Member
I was just curiouse as to if there are any local meets that take place.... Seems like it would be fun to get a bunch of tort lovers together for BBQ's and what not. I'd love to be able to take a first hand look at other people's habitats and torts, I'd imagine it would have to be very educational not to mention a great time.

Greg

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
The Republic O' Tejas
Great idea, actually.

You're down near Houston, aren't you? I'm west of Ft. Worth and there's a few others here from Tx., at least two I know of around Arlington, so maybe we can all get together somewhere mutually convenient.

BTW, you also might contact

Houston Turtle & Tortoise Society
4106 Bethel Blvd
Houston 77092-5109

As so many member live in other states and other countries, a larger gathering would take a lot more planning, but getting together maybe once a year might be possible and would be very cool!

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Myself and Matt41gb live in Arlington we are about a 10-15 min drive from each other depending on traffic..

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
I belong to the local Herp Society, after the monthly meeting us breeders, etc. all go to dinner and talk shop for hours. I wish there was a specific tortoise enthusiast/breeder group that would meet, but I do not know of any such a group here in SW Florida. I live near many great keepers and breeders, but not any organized group or get together.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
There have been meet and greets, but they typically take place in CA (Boooooo!)

I personally have only met two other members. I would love to meet more, 'specially now that it is summer time and I can show off my mad wicked outdoor enclosures :D :D :D

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
It would be fun to get together. I live in IL. not as many tort owners around here but I am sure there are a few.

SnakeyeZ

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I would love too... I just live a little far. Our local reptile forum used to have meetings - but that phased out years ago. Too bad it was always fun getting together and talking herp!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
The So Cal members meet up once a year and have a picnic or go to a restaurant, josh encourages other areas to set up a meet an great, I also go to my tortoise club once a month and talk turtles and tortoises. Ask some of the members on here who I have met in real life, once I start talking about them (turtles and tortoise) it is hard for me to stop.

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
Ok, I am in Georgetown TX...in the middle of Houston and Dallas. I would be willing to drive for a weekend meet. Might kind of hard to do for a week day, but anything is possible.

Who from TX or LA is going to the Herp show next weekend?

October

5 Year Member
San Tan Valley, Arizona
I would think about going to an AZ Meetup, but probably chicken out at the last second because of my utter inexperience. :p What?! Just being honest! :D

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
I try to have at least one Tortoise Forum meet-n-greet per year. They have all been in SoCal out of convenience but EVERYONE is invited! The anniversary of the forum is August 4 so it's generally around that time. I'd love to see and participate in more meet-ups though. If it's reasonably close to me here in Redlands, CA I'll try to make it out!

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
dmmj said:
The So Cal members meet up once a year and have a picnic or go to a restaurant, josh encourages other areas to set up a meet an great, I also go to my tortoise club once a month and talk turtles and tortoises. Ask some of the members on here who I have met in real life, once I start talking about them (turtles and tortoise) it is hard for me to stop.

When is this?!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
FernandoM said:
dmmj said:

When is this?!

to which are you referring to? the tortoise club? or the picnic? the picnic is usually in june or so, the tortoise club meets every fourth friday in arcadia, in fact almost time for the meeting it will be our de worming clinic (sorry OT)

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
dmmj said:
FernandoM said:
dmmj said:

When is this?!

to which are you referring to? the tortoise club? or the picnic? the picnic is usually in june or so, the tortoise club meets every fourth friday in arcadia, in fact almost time for the meeting it will be our de worming clinic (sorry OT)

I was referring to the So Cal meeting. But the fact that you said it's de worming clinic time makes me :) I'll be there!

GregUnd

5 Year Member
Wow, I would really love to get a Texas meet going on at least once a year and also try to get city meets organized. I really think that it would be awesome, and then once a year or so get all the city groups together for one big meet.

Maybe I should talk to Josh about trying to set something up?

DixieParadise said:
Ok, I am in Georgetown TX...in the middle of Houston and Dallas. I would be willing to drive for a weekend meet. Might kind of hard to do for a week day, but anything is possible.

Who from TX or LA is going to the Herp show next weekend?

That would be great!

Where is this "herp" show that you speak of?

M

Maggie Cummings

How about a meet and greet in the PNW??? There's numerous members spread between Oregon and Washington...we could meet in the middle somewhere...

Skyler Nell

5 Year Member
Southern CA
dmmj said:
hmmm, I've never been invited to such a meeting :(

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
Last August 4 we had a picnic in San Dimas. All were invited, it was widely publicized here

Status
Not open for further replies.