Breeds

ELLIE753

Location (City and/or State)
United Kingdom, West Sussex
Hello tortoise lovers.
I currently have a 10 year old Hermann, just found it he is a girl :).. Any way I really would like another tort (have been told not to keep two Hermann's together and that they need be kept in groups and not as a couples) are Hermann's the best/easiest to keep? would you advise to stick to one breed and if not would I still have to keep them separated and still in groups of more than two? if I decide to have a group of Hermann's an I keep them all together of does each individual have to be separated? I am fine to keep them separated I just need to be sure before I make any decisions? I am a little confused and would love any advice.
Thanks in advance!
Ellie . UK
X

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Hi Ellie,
Well tortoises are classified into species. If you want another tortoise, whether it be another species or the same. The best route is to set up another enclosure. I'd say go with a Herman's and get the opposite sex that way you can put them together from time to time for breeding. If other species are on your mind it's not recommended to every out them together.

If you have access to a large outside area where you can set the two up with lots of shelters or hides and plant material two could be housed together during good weather. But come winter and inside time toe enclosures would be best to eliminate any possibility of aggression and stressing the other out.

ELLIE753

United Kingdom, West Sussex
Thank you very much. I think ill go with your advice and get a male Hermann! one more question, I thought you couldn't tell the sex of a tort till they were 8 or so, so how will I know I am getting a boy?! Is there a way of telling when they are babies that I am unaware of. I am pretty new to this although I have had mine for a while! thanks again

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Thank you very much. I think ill go with your advice and get a male Hermann! one more question, I thought you couldn't tell the sex of a tort till they were 8 or so, so how will I know I am getting a boy?! Is there a way of telling when they are babies that I am unaware of. I am pretty new to this although I have had mine for a while! thanks again
Testudo(genus of tortoise that encompasses Herman's, Greeks, Egyptians, and marginated primarily European and Northern Africa region) grow quite rapidly because when they hatch they need to get size one them naturally for a anti predation survival, and hibernation through some cold winters ahead. So knowing they grow a bit more rapid than other species of tortoises, sexing them can be accurately done within 2-3 years of time. Of course this varies on species. With Herman's it's a safe bet. IF adequate good growth and husbandry were all taken into place during the time prior to this range of age. I'd say look for an older one perhaps. Or you could get in touch with some breeders and see if the incubate at specific temperatures.

Temperature sex determination (TSD) is not 100% but but can be accurate. Especially if the breeder is highly experienced with years of knowing the thresholds. I know quite a few members are on here from the. United. Kingdom. Hopefully they could steadfast you in the direction of one. Or maybe another older one will come along for yah. Have you had your hermann identified by Chris yet? There are 3 species of Herman's. Want to make sure if your getting the proper one if you so choose to breed them in the future.

@HermanniChris can help you Identify the exact species. Will need a photo of the plastron(underside) carapace(top side) and a profile photo of the face and rear.

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
Hi Ellie, welcome. Kelly (tortadise) is giving you excellent information. Yes, if you post a carapace and plastron photo I will be able to accurately identify which subspecies of Hermann's tortoise you have.

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
You have an eastern Hermann's tortoise (Testudo hermanni boettgeri). And yes, certainly is female.