Do we need to worry how much torts eat outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nimbledoe

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
North Central Washington
When in an indoor enclosure we need to limit the amount our tortoises eat. But what about when they are in their outdoor enclosure? I have been researching outdoor enclosures as I am getting ready to construct one, and the ones I see are really nicely FULL of plants, etc. So I guess It is ok for them (I have an adult Russian) to eat all they want? What makes the difference??

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
You don't need to limit outdoor weeds and grasses. They are low calorie, high fiber foods. Your tort will not become overweight eating these, especially given that he'll be outside and will presumably have lots of space to roam around and get his exercise.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If feeding the right foods, I don't think they need to be limited indoors either. Big enclosures, good water source, and an all you can eat weed buffet, should yield a happy, healthy tortoise.

Nimbledoe

5 Year Member
North Central Washington
Tom said:
If feeding the right foods, I don't think they need to be limited indoors either. Big enclosures, good water source, and an all you can eat weed buffet, should yield a happy, healthy tortoise.

Thanks for info. I have had to be feeding mostly spring mix, and other edibles found in grocery store this past winter. I may have been overfeeding. Her yellow ring is getting very wide. She does get calcium, TNT, daily drinks/soaks, uvb, good range of temps. Keep her under substrate damp, she gets pretty good exercise, etc.

Many new weeds are now coming up, some have flowers. It is SOOO hard to identify most of them, looking them up on all the sites. Seems like most of my area stuff is not listed. I'm too scared to introduce most of them. Is there any good rule of thumb on feeding wild plants/weeds? Or.. if not positive .... do not feed.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I would not feed it if I am not sure it's safe.

Take samples to a local nursery and ask for ID help. Most places have a local weed expert.

Status
Not open for further replies.