do you grow food for your tortoise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NJ
I would like to know where to buy the Prickly Pear Cactus. I currently have 3 sulcatas and hopefully have 2 russians on the way soon and that is something I could grow inside all year. Help! Thanks!

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
I would try E-bay. I have bought other plants from them. Right now e-bay has a seller that has seeds just type in Prickly Pear Cactus. I see your in NJ so if you know of anyone who has a plant just lop off a pad let the end dry a little and then pot it and it should grow fine inside. The plants do have a tendancy to get big. You might also check with a nursery if they don't carry them they may be able to do a special order they are also known by the name Optuntia Cacti.
Hope this helps

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Thanks so much Crazy1 I am going on ebay right now!

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
I am so excited! I just talked to my friend and she said there is a bunch of it growing at our local soccer park. I am going to get some for free!!!! I love free!!!!!

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Free is always the best. I scope out areas around me for different types of plants like Mulberry trees, Jade plants, cactus, etc and just ask if I may have a cutting or some leaves or flowers and when people find out it’s for torts they usually are more than happy to give. I had a guy down my street take a shovel to his jade plant to break off large branches for me. It has made me some nice friends in my neighborhood I probably would have never met.

Status
Not open for further replies.