Do you keep food dish in same spot (indoor enclosure)

Arjun&Yoshi

Location (City and/or State)
Toronto, Canada
Just wondered if it makes sense to move the food dish every few weeks or too stressful for baby russian? I was reading another thread about keeping lights off a few times a month to imitate natural habitat, so wondered if the same could apply to having the tort find his food in a new place. Sorry if it's a dumb question! Lol

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Not a dumb question at all. I don't move the food bowls around, but you can if you want to.

There are different philosophies in tortoise keeping. Some people choose to intentionally imitate the not so good days that occur in the wild. I have never seen any reason to do this. I prefer to simulate the good days that happen in the wild.

Arjun&Yoshi

Toronto, Canada
Thank you Tom. I prefer to keep ideal conditions too. I just can't wait until the warmer weather starts so little Yoshi can get outside. My son and I have discussed his outdoor enclosure and all the great food we are going to grow for him already. :)

jeffjeff

5 Year Member
cumbria england
i leave them in the same place. he has plants spread around the enclosure so he can wander about eating different things as and when he wants too.

DutchieAmanda

5 Year Member
Netherlands
I leave the food dish also in the same spot. I moved it once, but my redfoot found it immediayely (think he smells it)!
I have however a plan to make more feeding places in his new (larger) enclosure to simulate natural food searching behaviour.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I've always thought that tortoises have 'mappin' in their brains, so they look for their landscape to be the same all the time. That way they can find their way around and know where the water is, etc. I think a 'new' environment, one that looks different from what they're used to, is one reason tortoises have such a hard time getting used to a new home.

kmartin

central Florida
The food/water bowls stay in the same place, but I hide treats. Apiece of romaine lettuce or kale o hibiscus. This way they still wander around and graze without being bored.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I always put my bowls in the same spot. There are dents in the substrate that they fit into perfectly.

I'm with Zero on this as well. Watering saucer is sunken down, level in the substrate. I pry it up and out twice daily, give it a wash and refresh. Sink it back in its spot and refill. Easy to maintain.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I leave in the same place! :D I also have to agree with ZEROPILOT, I have these little indents perfect for his bowls... I also believe tat he goes to that certain place to eat food, because he'll know it'll be there. If I moved it, I feel like it would disrupt his routine, and he'd ave to rediscover where food and water was.

AmRoKo

5 Year Member
Florida
I leave mine in the same place and I spread seed around the enclosures about every other week so they can graze on sprouts if they want. :)