Do you like it when people call your tortoise a turtle?

Do you like people calling Tortoises, Turtles?

• Yes

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • No

Votes: 38 84.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

dhru1999

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
England
Personally, i don't like people calling my star a turtle. I see it as calling a human, a gorilla. please vote :):D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It doesn't matter to me. Its really a matter of geography anyway. In some countries tortoises ARE turtles. I think that in Australia land chelonians are called turtles and water chelonians are called tortoises. What's in a name?

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
It does not bother me. I feel that, if they are not into reptile's then there is no point trying to correct them.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't like it and I correct them.

... and I HAVE called a few humans gorillas. :)

Glasswalker

5 Year Member
Pittsburgh
It doesn't necessarily upset me, but I do correct people who call Domino a turtle since differences do exist.

yoda3106

5 Year Member
No, I hate it!! Every time somebody says turtle, immediately I say, tortoise haha

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
It's the same in UK Yvonne.

Swimming ones are turtles and land ones are tortoises.

The exception is terrapins which are sliders elsewhere.

Teenage mutant ninja is probably responsible for a lot unfortunately!

Cfr200

10 Year Member!
Springfield, Mo
I do not care either way. I also do not think my tortoises are offended in the least, if they are they have not said anything to me about it.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't like it, but not a big deal either. However, I will say my tortoise and they don't have a clue what I am talking about, so I say turtle and they get it. I will sometimes educate them, sometimes, I just don't want to waist my time, as they aren't into them anyway.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
I am not bothered in the slightest by it.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I have to call hypocrisy on myself, I can't tell you how many times I have said russian turtle, even though I know it is a tortoise. It does not bother me besides to my younger cousin they are all turtles.

factura5

5 Year Member
i honestly get offended when people call my tortoise a turtle. but when i dont feel like correcting them for goodness sakes i just tell them... "yeah, turtle..." but seriously, i nag my mom about calling it turtle. its not a turtle, it a "tortoise"!!!!!!!! tortoise are land and turtles are aquatic... mostly.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
I will normally correct them when they call Cooper a turtle. Altho I consider him my 4th kid. He just happens to have a big shell and eats a lot of salad. :p hell, he spends more time with me then my own kids do so why not. Last night we both feel asleep in my bed and he never even moved all night, he thinks the bed is his new sleeping quarters! :p sorry, off topic like I always do....

drgnfly2265

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
FLORIDA
It can sometimes be annoying, but I know that there are some people out there that really don't care about the differences. My friends know that if they are talking about Bowser and say turtle that I will correct them, lol. But anytime that I'm out with Bowser and other people call her a turtle I will correct them. I just want to give them correct information :)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I quietly get annoyed but don't hold it against the non reptile folks...but I find that when they refer to the turtles I go on with the conversation but willing reference them correctly....although I do have both...

My young two year old cousin refers to the tortoise as tortoise and the RESs as the turtles that eat baby fingers...lol...so all works itself out with those important in my day to day...:D

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
drgnfly2265 said:
It can sometimes be annoying, but I know that there are some people out there that really don't care about the differences. My friends know that if they are talking about Bowser and say turtle that I will correct them, lol. But anytime that I'm out with Bowser and other people call her a turtle I will correct them. I just want to give them correct information :)
Good way to put it," just want to give them correct information"!

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
I take a slightly different view of the whole thing. I think they are mostly right to call our pets turtles.

In common use, all shelled reptiles are turtles. That is even the dictionary definition-
"1. Any of various aquatic or terrestrial reptiles of the order Testudines (or Chelonia), having horny toothless jaws and a bony or leathery shell into which the head, limbs, and tail can be withdrawn in most species.
2. Chiefly British: A sea turtle."

Tortoises are a sub-set of the turtles, with definitions that vary by region or whether you are using the taxonomic/scientific usage. So all tortoises are turtles automatically, but a turtle is not always a tortoise.

Of course, to confuse matters, the term 'turtle' is also the name of a sub-set as well, with an even slipperier definition that varies by country. And to really get things confusing, there is the term 'terrapin' as well.

There are other groupings that have the same problem, and often trigger emotional reaction when they are being perceived as being used incorrectly. Crocodile and poison have the same problem since they are used for the large group and for a sub-group inside.

expo tort

5 Year Member
cemmons12 said:

What makes my blood boil is that even after I correct they call my tortoise a turtle. It's ridiculous I repeat it till I'm blue in the face.

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
expo tort said:
cemmons12 said:

What makes my blood boil is that even after I correct they call my tortoise a turtle. It's ridiculous I repeat it till I'm blue in the face.

My mom still says turtle and now I have family members now saying "so your mom says you have turtles now too?" I always just think to myself if that's the worst thing... then really I should just not be so witchy about the whole thing. It does irritate me too. I am going to call everyone's cats pumas and everyone's dogs dingos. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.