Does anyone know what type of tortoise this is?

Bwo0G8xIQAEShY1.jpg:large
Bwo0G2HIMAAZSt_.jpg:large

I've seen 4 of these tortoises so far in my backyard.
Does anyone know what type of tortoise is this?? :)

Last edited:

I found this guy in my backyard today. And I want to know what type of tortoise it is:)
Bwo0G8xIQAEShY1.jpg:large

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Winnipeg, MB
They're box turtles. Google it: "box turtles of (name of your state)." ;)

May, Aussies, & Hermannis
IG: @AUSSOMEAUSSIES

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, and eastern box turtles are protected in their home range. It would be a good idea to put it back where you found it....that is, if you're in its home range. (Terrapene carolina carolina)

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
How fortunate you are to be in a place where they still roam. We used to find the same EBT in our garden every summer in Kentucky. He knew when the tomatoes & other goodies ripened. Just leave them to come and go, and don't handle them. Do be very very careful when you mow.

greek

@67707 1st pic: ORNATE.

is the 2nd pic of same turtle? looks different from the ornate... but may be a female ornate? female orns are drabber lookin

Michael Twohy

5 Year Member
Roseville, Minnesota
Umm... because its a turtle? Is this a trick question?

Tortoises are turtles, but turtles aren't tortoises.
Ok.... No it's not a trick question, because they can't swim and have domed shells, I always think of them as tortoises, not turtles. Is it like a platypus where it's different than all mammals? Are there other things that decide if it's a turtle or tortoise?

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
Ok.... No it's not a trick question, because they can't swim and have domed shells, I always think of them as tortoises, not turtles. Is it like a platypus where it's different than all mammals? Are there other things that decide if it's a turtle or tortoise?
It's just a word, a common name. Painted Turtles are called Painted Tortoises in Europe. Doesn't mean either side is wrong.

Hence the importance of scientific/latin names..

turtlemanfla88

It is a eastern box turtle. In my experience my box turtles spend a lot of time in the water and yes they do swim. I would not put one in a pond they are not very graceful swimmers. I also, have had yellow foot tortoises get into one of my ponds and all i saw where their shells I was thinking the worst because they were in the water plants and I did not see them moving. They were fine and eating the water plants with their heads under water. All of my ponds are deep in the middle ,but animals can climb out on the sides very easily.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
These are both 100% eastern box turtles. Not at all an ornate

Turtlepete

South Florida
It's just a word, a common name. Painted Turtles are called Painted Tortoises in Europe. Doesn't mean either side is wrong.

Hence the importance of scientific/latin names..

Another reason why I really don't like common names. Haha :p.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
If I understand correctly (...and that's a BIG "if!") a tortoise is just a sub-type of turtle. I'm not sure of the details used to draw the lines. :p