Does anyone own a macaw?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tyguy35

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
ontario
Justwanna know te difficulties. I have owned a bunch before smaller parrots.

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
Hey. I was just wondering how difficult they areto keep. Do they go off on screaming fots ever. I was lucky with my birds they are so qquiet. Are they aggresive towards you etc

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They are very loud and very destructive. They require very large cages. In general Macaws are fairly aggressive, but also in general they are not handled correctly. If people flinch, they learn VERY quickly to control and manipulate people with aggression. If you don't flinch and their aggression does not get them what they want, then can can actually be quite friendly. I like them a lot.

Did you see the Gwen Stefani video for "Rich Girl"? That was a macaw that I've been working with for 15 years. His name is Pumpkin. He never bites...

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Military, Blue and Gold , Scarlet, Hyacinth …..I have had them all. Nice large noisy birds….fun to watch , will run you about $30-50 month on food min. Can be aggressive even to their owners, Like all large birds, lots of love and attention will show the behavior of your bird. ( just like a kid I suppose…) . The variety now available to the public is unreal , with all kids of color morphs, that are simply breathtaking. I must be honest though …..there is nutting like a Cockatoo when it comes to “ love and affection shown by the animal” … they love to snuggle ….hence the nickname “ Velcro “ bird. There is a HUGE difference in owning a large bird compared to a Conure or Keet‘. Did I mention the word Destructive ?
JD ~:)
Would be happy to help you out with any BIG BIRD questions ....

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
So you also train parrots? I had one parrot that would not stop screaming senegal. I tried the not giving her what she wants but she never ever ever stopped. Also cage territorial.

zesty_17

5 Year Member
Florida
i work with them daily, but don't have them at my house... a couple at work have my heart though and i would gladly take them in if they ever needed a home.

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
Do they have a constant screaming fit like my Senegal. Also where is it you guys work I've been trying to get jobs in the wildlife area for so long. I'm a bit closer at cleaning fish tanks boo lol. Tried to go to school but it's a hundred grand almost.

Debi1*

5 Year Member
Southwest Wyoming
Having a parrot is a life long commitment. A lot of thought should go into that decision. Will, I always have the time to devote to his happiness and good health?

zesty_17

5 Year Member
Florida
i work at Busch Gardens Tampa, and yes, our birds do from time to time scream & squawk. It is usually around the same time though-closing time or feeding time, and sometimes just for attention. I have found that if they feel they are not getting enough attention from the keepers they will throw a tantrum just like kids do. There is no reasoning with them at this point, so i try to divert their attention by kneeling down-forcing them to climb down the perching (or the opposite if they are already down) and speaking to them softly, so they have to quieten down to hear me. It isn't 100% but does work for me most of the time, and we both get what we wanted-me quietness and them attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.