Does CHE still needed for baby Hermann?

luki

Location (City and/or State)
Malang, Indonesia
I found an article that CHE is not a must if the room temp doesn't drop below 20°C (70°F)
Is this true?

My coldest room temp at night is just 21°C (71°F) where it mostly went from 23-21°C (73-71°F) all night. Almost went 19°C once but it is very rare.
And this is during rainy season.
On summer it mostly range from 25-23°C (75-73°F).

I mean the night is pretty cold to me bcs I'm kinda weak to cold, but if the room temperatures are like that do I still need to use CHE or will it be too hot for baby Hermann?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What's the room temp in the enclosure at night? Heat rises so if he's on the floor, it will be colder.
Tortoises that normally brumate but isn't, need to be kept a little warmer at night or they try to go into brumation and if not done properly they can get sick and/or die.
70F at night is fine, just be sure that is in his enclosure.
75-80F during the day and a basking area of 95-100F

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Tortoises are what's called cold blooded reptiles...that means they do not make heat themselves, so they need a hot basking CHE or basking bulb...he will need those for the rest of his life...wellington told you the temps to watch for...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I found an article that CHE is not a must if the room temp doesn't drop below 20°C (70°F)
Is this true?

My coldest room temp at night is just 21°C (71°F) where it mostly went from 23-21°C (73-71°F) all night. Almost went 19°C once but it is very rare.
And this is during rainy season.
On summer it mostly range from 25-23°C (75-73°F).

I mean the night is pretty cold to me bcs I'm kinda weak to cold, but if the room temperatures are like that do I still need to use CHE or will it be too hot for baby Hermann?
At those temperatures, you do not need a CHE for ambit temperature maintenance. You just need a basking flood bulb, a UV tube, and ambient light in the indoor enclosure.

If you are able to get the baby outside in a safe enclosure a couple of times per week for an hour or two with access to sunshine, you won't need the indoor UV either.

luki

Malang, Indonesia
At those temperatures, you do not need a CHE for ambit temperature maintenance. You just need a basking flood bulb, a UV tube, and ambient light in the indoor enclosure.

If you are able to get the baby outside in a safe enclosure a couple of times per week for an hour or two with access to sunshine, you won't need the indoor UV either.
Sorry but by UV tube do you mean the UVA or UVB....?
B-because I already ordered my UVB lights, but I also already prepared an outdoor enclosure for the baby to sun bathing on.

luki

Malang, Indonesia
What's the room temp in the enclosure at night? Heat rises so if he's on the floor, it will be colder.
Tortoises that normally brumate but isn't, need to be kept a little warmer at night or they try to go into brumation and if not done properly they can get sick and/or die.
70F at night is fine, just be sure that is in his enclosure.
75-80F during the day and a basking area of 95-100F
The enclosure temp at night went from 73-78°F mostly

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Sorry but by UV tube do you mean the UVA or UVB....?
B-because I already ordered my UVB lights, but I also already prepared an outdoor enclosure for the baby to sun bathing on.
UV tube - means UVB tube. And they provide UVA as well.

UVB is required for vitamin D3 synthesis and calcium ingestion. UVA supports tortoise color vision and affects their behaviour, but not as critical, from what I see.

In any case, natural sunlight is the best.