Does his shell look healthy to you?

Norman Garcia

He is about 13 months old. He's been living in an enclosure that's humidified during the day. His diet so far has been mostly spring mix with occasional fruits such as strawberries or apples sprinkled with calcium powder. I used to give him worms when he was a little younger but he hasn't had any since. How does he look? His name is Hoover btw
IMAG0145[1].jpg IMAG0148[1].jpg IMAG0143[1].jpg IMAG0144[1].jpg IMAG0146[1].jpg IMAG0147[1].jpg

DutchieAmanda

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Netherlands
Hi and welcome to the forum!

I think your tort looks good, he's cute also!

His diet could use some improvement. Try to find other weeds and greens beside spring mix. And add some 10% animal protein (worms, egg, soaked cat food, chicken, shrimp).

Pyramiding is mainly caused by low humidity. Off the look of your tort I assume you do keep it above 70-80%?

Norman Garcia

Hi and welcome to the forum!

I think your tort looks good, he's cute also!

His diet could use some improvement. Try to find other weeds and greens beside spring mix. And add some 10% animal protein (worms, egg, soaked cat food, chicken, shrimp).

Pyramiding is mainly caused by low humidity. Off the look of your tort I assume you do keep it above 70-80%?
Thanks! I do plan on changing his diet very soon since a spring mix diet isn't the best. Yes, I do keep the humidity up nice and high during the day. I have also noticed tiny little bugs crawling on his shell from time to time. They seem to enjoy crawling on the creases on his shell. Is that something I should worry about?

Randi

Location (City and/or State)
Canada
These bugs are harmless detritivores. The ones you describe sound like Spring Tails. They are essentially a clean up crew for the enclosure. They are eating feces, left over food, etc. They pose no threat to your tortoise. The only way to get rid of them temporarily is to completely redo the enclosure by changing out substrate, washing hides/items, etc. But they won't stay gone for long, only two weeks or so until they reappear. You can spot clean for feces and food, to give them less to feed on. All in all, harmless lil guys. I think every one on this forum has them in their enclosures.

Norman Garcia

These bugs are harmless detritivores. The ones you describe sound like Spring Tails. They are essentially a clean up crew for the enclosure. They are eating feces, left over food, etc. They pose no threat to your tortoise. The only way to get rid of them temporarily is to completely redo the enclosure by changing out substrate, washing hides/items, etc. But they won't stay gone for long, only two weeks or so until they reappear. You can spot clean for feces and food, to give them less to feed on. All in all, harmless lil guys. I think every one on this forum has them in their enclosures.
Good to know. Thank you!