Does my tortoise have shell rot?

AdrianaG0719

Hello everyone! I just adopted a tortoise from a friend who could no longer care for it. I've never had a tortoise before so I'm in the process of learning how to properly take care of it. She has been eating well and has been very active. However, her top shell is peeling and it has me very worried. There are several spots where her shell has peeled that are slightly discolored. Her shell doesn't feel soft anywhere, and there isn't any fluid or discharge coming from the peeling areas. I attached some images showing the condition of her shell. Is this shell rot? If it is, what would be the best way to treat it? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks!
IMG_3908.JPG IMG_3909.JPG IMG_3911.JPG IMG_3913.JPG IMG_3915.JPG

Aunt Caffy

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
I have no idea. My tortoise had a small amount of shell rot or fungus on his plastron, and I used the ointment for athlete's foot on it. But there are others on this forum who know far more than I do.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What kind of tortoise were you told this is? It looks like a turtle to me? How are you housing it, give all details. Turtles do shed so I'm thinking it's just that, but let's see if I can get a few others here. @Gerards @theTurtleRoom

immiexxo

UK
This definitely looks like a turtle, my friend has one and it looks so similar x

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
That is a turtle looks like a wood turtle . Needs water and a basking spot . Turtles shed just like you're seeing in this turtle . If it doesn't shed and water stays under the shell that hasn't shed it will cause shell rot.

domalle

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Hello everyone! I just adopted a tortoise from a friend who could no longer care for it. I've never had a tortoise before so I'm in the process of learning how to properly take care of it. She has been eating well and has been very active. However, her top shell is peeling and it has me very worried. There are several spots where her shell has peeled that are slightly discolored. Her shell doesn't feel soft anywhere, and there isn't any fluid or discharge coming from the peeling areas. I attached some images showing the condition of her shell. Is this shell rot? If it is, what would be the best way to treat it? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks!
View attachment 141895 View attachment 141896 View attachment 141897 View attachment 141898 View attachment 141899

Agree with Mike.
Can barely see the head markings but does look like a Central American wood turtle, one of the Rhinoclemmys.
It can only be called a tortoise if you're in Australia where they don't have land tortoises but call their water turtles 'tortoises'.
It does appear to have some carapacial (top shell) problems. Can you get it some natural sunlight outside in an escape proof enclosure?
The sun can work miracles with turtles so long as they have a place to withdraw out of it when they feel the need.
Exposure to natural sunlight may in and of itself effect a cure without any other treatment.
Good luck.

domalle

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
View attachment 141895 View attachment 141896 View attachment 141897 View attachment 141898 View attachment 141899

And the pictures are unclear but it could just be attributed to poor water quality.