Does This Look Normal?

oneilmatt

Location (City and/or State)
St. Louis, MO
A friend of mine sent me a picture of her juvenile three-toed (about a year old). Is it just me or does the shell not look right?

I'd appreciate some insight!

Attachments

• IMG_1444.jpg
    IMG_1444.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 29

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
The shell is definitely doming high and the skin on its head is flaking off. I'd say it was being kept too dry and needs either a good uvb light or a better diet that includes D3. See if you can get a picture of its home.

oneilmatt

St. Louis, MO
The shell is definitely doming high and the skin on its head is flaking off. I'd say it was being kept too dry and needs either a good uvb light or a better diet that includes D3. See if you can get a picture of its home.
She mentioned she keeps it at 30-50% humidity. That's too low, isn't it? Should be like 70% or more, right?

Attachments

• 4FFB9ECB-89CA-4C50-A991-3250FE318FE9.jpeg
    4FFB9ECB-89CA-4C50-A991-3250FE318FE9.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 16

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
She mentioned she keeps it at 30-50% humidity. That's too low, isn't it? Should be like 70% or more, right?
Yes, way too dry. What is that substrate? I see sticks, maybe sphagnum, and is that pine cones? Wet the sphagnum so that a drop or two of water comes out if its squeezed in a fist and ditch the pine, it can irritate the skin.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
Maybe add a large plant saucer or shallow tray (sunk into the substrate) as well so the turtle can self soak. Not deep enough to be a drowning risk if it flips over, but enough to help hydrate the turtle and also increase the humidity in the enclosure.

Plant saucers can be nested together, ideally with a short vertical spacer between them, to make it easier to take out the one on top, dump it out, give it a quick rinse, put it back in its spot, and refill it.