Doesn't use hides - normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rogue

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Centennial, CO
My adult female (T. G. terrestris) never uses her hide placed on the cool side of the enclosure, and spends most of the daytime under the basking spot (Powersun 100W). At night she just burrows in the corner on the same side. During the day, warm side is 90 deg (100+ deg under lamp) and the cool side is 70-75 deg. At night, temps are usually around 70 deg. Humidity is always between 20 and 30%.

I've sinced placed her hide in the middle of the enclosure giving her a choice to hide closer to the warm side, but she isn't using it.

Is this ok, or should I be concerned that she isn't getting the right amount of heat/UVB, or some other issue? She seems fairly active overall, and is eating quite a bit.

Attachments

• P1020408.JPG
    P1020408.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 52
  • P1020412.JPG
    P1020412.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 52

antoniocormier

5 Year Member
maybe every night before you turn the lights off, place her in her hide that away she knows she has a place to sleep at night

sueb4653

5 Year Member
Pueblo West
Mine dont use hides either, I gave up on them and now have orchard grass placed on one end where they choose to sleep and placed a board across the top to add to the darkeness and they seem to like it, I went with what they wanted and what worked.
DSCN0043_zpsaa7e092e.jpg

Rogue said:
My adult female (T. G. terrestris) never uses her hide placed on the cool side of the enclosure, and spends most of the daytime under the basking spot (Powersun 100W). At night she just burrows in the corner on the same side. During the day, warm side is 90 deg (100+ deg under lamp) and the cool side is 70-75 deg. At night, temps are usually around 70 deg. Humidity is always between 20 and 30%.

I've sinced placed her hide in the middle of the enclosure giving her a choice to hide closer to the warm side, but she isn't using it.

Is this ok, or should I be concerned that she isn't getting the right amount of heat/UVB, or some other issue? She seems fairly active overall, and is eating quite a bit.

Rogue

5 Year Member
Centennial, CO
Yup, I've tried placing her inside the hide the first few nights, so she knows it's there. Maybe I will try the pile of grass on the warm side to give her more options.

Sue - your little torts are cute! How high are the walls from top of substrate? Mine would have scaled that wall in no time!

sueb4653

5 Year Member
Pueblo West
Rogue said:
Yup, I've tried placing her inside the hide the first few nights, so she knows it's there. Maybe I will try the pile of grass on the warm side to give her more options.

Sue - your little torts are cute! How high are the walls from top of substrate? Mine would have scaled that wall in no time!

7" from the top of the subtrate, no one has tried to get out

Eloise's mommy

5 Year Member
Utah
My RT doesn't like her hide on the cool side..I have it placed where the opening is about 2-3 inches from direct basking spot and I had to show her it was a good place to hide before she would use it..I also provide deeper borrowing in the hide which she really enjoys I think if the hide didn't have the deep burrowing she wouldn't use it some nights I think she wishes it were even deeper.

Rogue

5 Year Member
Centennial, CO
Pile of orchard grass in the corner on the warm side - instant success! She went right for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.