Dog attack, need advice ASAP!

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lewisville, Texas
On another reptile site I moderate, someone just private messaged me with this-
IMG_1596.jpgIMG_1597.jpg
I’ve told them to keep the turtle on paper towels for now, rinse the wound with water, and get to a vet ASAP. Is there anything else I should tell them for now? Anything they should rinse it with? Anything they should wrap it with? Would neosporin help?

I also gave them the “broken shell” thread.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
If anyone can find a thread where something similar happened, that would be helpful too.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Keep the turtle warmer then normal, 85. Make sure they clean it with warm water or a sterile saline. I can see hair in it in the pics. If it's not still bleeding they can just do all that has been suggested.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Keep the turtle warmer then normal, 85. Make sure they clean it with warm water or a sterile saline. I can see hair in it in the pics. If it's not still bleeding they can just do all that has been suggested.

Thank you! And if it’s still bleeding, do you mean just do what I’ve already told them?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sorry, if it's not bleeding they can continue with what you have already told them and not take it too the vet if it's not deep, which it doesn't look like it is. They must keep it clean and I would clean it once with a watered down iodine solution. If it's still bleeding they need to get him in so a vet can get it too stop. A vet visit either way would be nice if they can but too just be sure it's a knowledgeable turtle vet

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
my guess is without a vet and antibiotics that looks like it's probably fatal to me …… with a vet I think it may still be fatal ……..