Help! (dog attack)

GlitterCritter

Location (City and/or State)
Boise, ID
My Russian tortoise recently escaped into the neighbors' yard and was attacked by their dog :( we took him to the vet and they gave me pain meds to give him as well as antibiotics and chlorhex to wash his wounds. He's been doing ok so far, although he hasn't eaten much since we brought him home, but today when I was washing his wounds I think I accidentally got some chlorhex in his left eye and now he's not opening it. Is this a serious problem? Should I take him back to the vet for this? I tried to rinse it out a little with some water but he still won't open it.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Any time you get anything in the eye (human or animal) the first aid is to wash-wash-wash. There maybe some irritation and it might be helpful to put some medicated eye drops. Or at least saline eye drops to soothe the eye. Drug stores have (Walgreens, CVS) have few kinds of eye drops and ointments that will make the eye feel better. Sometimes petstores have eyedrops in reptile section.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
My Russian tortoise recently escaped into the neighbors' yard and was attacked by their dog :( we took him to the vet and they gave me pain meds to give him as well as antibiotics and chlorhex to wash his wounds. He's been doing ok so far, although he hasn't eaten much since we brought him home, but today when I was washing his wounds I think I accidentally got some chlorhex in his left eye and now he's not opening it. Is this a serious problem? Should I take him back to the vet for this? I tried to rinse it out a little with some water but he still won't open it.

A very warm welcome to the forum! :tort:

Terribly sorry to have just read that a dog attacked your tort.:( I would always rather an indoor enclosure for a tort, where he/she is safer.;)

Please ask the vet, as far as your tort's eye is concerned. Keep us updated and hope to hear he is better, SOON.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No it will be ok. It's just like getting soap in your eye. Hurts for a few minutes but goes away after he sheds a few tears.