Dog bite treatment

DobbyRed

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Puerto Rico
Hello guys! Got a quick question. A few weeks back my two redfoots got biten by dogs. Somehow they broke into their pen. (Pen security system have been fixed and improved). I got them to the Vet and did the whole process with the antibiotics and have them on a Betadine and Benixx everyday to treat the wounds. Now the question: Can I apply triple antibiotic ointment to the wounds??? Cause the little one every morning have a blood on her legs cause while she is sleeping some insect and crickets chew on the wounds and is not helping cure the wounds. Thanks!

IMG_5879.jpg
IMG_5882.jpg
56674106143__76EFF8FB-0FA4-47FF-85DC-DE02321B0675.jpg
56589612036__57F29473-6621-48B6-B78B-DB7717773231.jpgIMG_5821.jpg
IMG_5822.jpg
56631143218__807656A1-22C2-4141-B779-A4E697C18DAA.jpg

MysticCaribou

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sweet Home Chicago
I agree. If you can bring them indoors until they heal so there aren't any exposed wounds, would be the right thing to do.

DobbyRed

5 Year Member
Puerto Rico
During the day they are outside. But now during the night they are inside. At night is where the problem is. All the bugs come out.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I agree that they should be kept indoors until the wounds are no longer open. To answer your question, yes, you can use antibiotic ointment on the wounds.If you have flies, you run the risk of having flies lay eggs on the open wounds and getting infested with maggots. I always keep injured tortoises indoors until the wound are fairly well healed.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
1. During their recuperation, they should be in a 'hospital pen' where you can control the light, temp, cleanliness, etc. until the wounds are completely covered over. They should be disturbed as little as possible during this time. It does look like you are mostly there already, though.

2. Triple Antibiotic Ointment is petroleum jelly with a little bit of antibiotic stuff in it- it is considered pretty much a joke by first aid experts. Try sulfadiazine ointment or 2% mupirocin ointment instead. Although, plain petroleum jelly helps wounds heal by providing some sealing and by helping keep the wound moist. (Source: "Reptile Medicine and Surgery" by Dr. Mader, and lots of other first aid forums, and my several years of teaching American Red Cross Pet First Aid classes)

It is a little late now, but here is a page for nursing care and treating shock in tortoises- https://sites.google.com/site/tortoiselibrary/health-and-medical/basic-nursing-care